Man deported from US remanded for 2016 New Year’s Day murder

first_imgAfter being deported from the United States, Anthony Bhupdeo was earlier this week remanded to prison for the 2016 New Year’s Day murder of a Cane Grove, East Coast Demerara (ECD) man.The 25-year-old accused of Mon Repos, ECD, is alleged to have been part of a group of people who had fatally beaten to death cane harvester, Deokumar Basdeo. He was arraigned and remanded to prison on Tuesday after being handed over to local authorities last week.Murdered: Deokumar BasdeoBhupdeo had fled to the US on January 2, 2016, one day after the incident, raising suspicions about his involvement in the matter.According to a release from the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Bhupdeo entered the North American country as a visitor, with authorisation to remain until July 2016.In the meantime, however, an arrest warrant was issued on January 7, 2016, in the East Demerara Magisterial District for Bhupdeo for violating Criminal Law (PRO) Act, Ch10:01, Section 53 of the Criminal Code of Guyana (murder).Local authorities, after finding out the man had fled the country, approached their US counterparts for help in arresting the suspect and as such, the US Department of State revoked Bhupdeo’s visa in February 2016.The man then failed to depart the United States in July 2016 as required. In September of that year, the HSI office in Bogota, Colombia, notified the Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) in New York that Bhupdeo might be residing in the New York City metropolitan area, and was being sought in Guyana for murder pursuant to an Interpol Red Notice.The man was subsequently arrested on October 5, 2016 in Woodhaven, New York, and placed on removal proceedings. On July 26, 2017, an immigration Judge ordered that Bhupdeo be removed by an immigration Judge, but appealed that decision to the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA).However, his appeal was dismissed on February 1, 2018, paving the way for Bhupdeo’s deportation to Guyana.Basdeo, a 22-year-old father of one of Sawah Village, Cane Grove, succumbed to his injuries while receiving medical attention at the Georgetown Public Hospital after he was severely beaten and robbed on 2016 New Year’s Day. It was reported that the now dead man attended a traditional event called “Greasy Pole” in the village and subsequently had few drinks at one of the shops.While at the shop, he reportedly got into an argument with a group of men who had travelled into the village to witness the activities. After sometime, the argument ceased and Basdeo left the drinking spot.After he left the shop, the same group of men followed him in their motor car and in the vicinity of “Jango House”, he was pulled into the vehicle where he was severely beaten and relieved of his personal items.After the men were done, they dumped him out of the moving vehicle. He was subsequently found in an unconscious state and rushed to seek medical attention.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *