Turkey eyes Indonesian infrastructure projects, new capital development

first_imgTopics : The Turkish government and businesspeople have expressed their interest in building infrastructure in Indonesia, including for the new capital city to be developed in East Kalimantan.Turkish Ambassador to Indonesia Mahmut Erol Kilic said only a few dozen Turkish companies were operating in Indonesia despite the latter being the world’s 16th biggest economy and the largest in Southeast Asia.“Of course, we have more capacity than this, especially in the field of constructon, as Turkey had really successful projects in Astana, in Doha and in many other [places],” he said during the Turkey-Indonesia contracting sector business forum, which was held online on Tuesday. “We are eager to enter the Indonesian market.” Indonesia’s infrastructure development has captivated Turkish contractors as they are eager to expand their market in Asia after being involved in many projects in Eurasia and the Middle East.“We would like to diversify our market; we would like to find new markets, and we are more focused on Indonesia and the Phillipines,” Turkish Trade Minister Ruhsar Pekcan said in the same event.Turkish Contractor Association (TCA) data show that South Asia and Far East countries contributed only 3 percent to the more than 10,000 projects worth $403 billion in 127 countries that the association’s members have had from 1972 up until May.“We hope our contractors can take part in [more Indonesian projects], especially with regard to moving the capital city. Our engineers and constructing companies are very much willing to take part in such projects,” said Pekcan.  In addition, Turkish companies were interested in toll roads, energy facilities, waterworks and transportation-related infrastructure, he added.Public Works and Housing Minister Basuki Hadimuldjono encouraged both countries to have follow-up working groups to talk further about possible cooperation, such as on the trans-Sumatra toll road and water dam projects.  “This is the opportunity for Turkish contractors to come and participate in constructing the toll road, either as contractors or as investors through public-private partnerships,” said Basuki.He also invited Turkish architects to see the new capital’s urban planning design and welcomed future discussions.Indonesian Ambassador to Turkey Lalu Muhammad Iqbal said it was the right moment to tighten bilateral ties as the Indonesia-Turkey trade volume was quite small at only $1.6 billion in 2019.Meanwhile, Investment Coordinating Board (BPKM) data show that Turkey’s total direct investment to Indonesia amounted to $24.8 million last year, placing Turkey 29th on the list of foreign direct investors. center_img Indonesia has been extensively developing infrastructure in the last five years to help support its economic growth. Public Works and Housing Ministry data show that the government has built 1,500 kilometers of new toll roads, 3,867 km of other roads, 58,346 meters of new bridges and 61 water reservoirs during the period of 2015 to 2019.According to the ministry, Indonesia plans to add 2,500 km of toll roads, 3,000 km of other roads, 60,000 m of bridges and 35,000 m of overpasses and underpasses from 2020 to 2024.Indonesia currently has 223 key national projects worth around Rp 4.2 quadrillion (US$295.25 billion) on its priority list, ranging from seaports and airports to special economic zones and priority tourist destinations. Recently, the government announced a plan to add another 89 projects to the list for the next five years. It also plans to move its capital city from Jakarta to North Penajam Paser in East Kalimantan, with construction to begin in 2021 and estimated to cost Rp 466 trillion.last_img read more

Police arrest 12-year-old boy after racist messages sent to Ivorian winger

first_imgWest Midlands Police have arrested a 12-year-old boy after racist messages were sent to Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha ahead of Sunday’s match against Aston Villa.The Ivory Coast international posted several screenshots of the racist abuse he had received to his social media accounts on the morning of the match, alongside the caption: “Woke up to this today.”West Midlands Police said after the game they have arrested a boy from Solihull in relation to the incident.The posts come just two weeks after the Premier League launched a new system to allow Premier League players to report online abuse.Palace manager Roy Hodgson supports Zaha’s decision to go public about the abuse and says both clubs are working to identify the individual responsible.“It is very saddening on the day of a game that a player wakes up to this cowardly and despicable abuse,” said Hodgson. “I think it is right that Wilf made people aware of it; I don’t think it is something he should keep quiet about.“I think it is very good that our club, Aston Villa and the Premier League are doing everything they can to find out who this despicable individual is and one can only hope that they will get identified and they will get called to account and they will pay for these actions.“There is literally no excuse; there is no excuse at all.”A Premier League statement said: “This behaviour is completely unacceptable and the Premier League stands alongside @wilfriedzaha in opposing this, and discrimination in any form. There is #NoRoomForRacism, anywhere.“We will continue to support players, managers, coaches and their family members who receive serious discriminatory online abuse. “Through our dedicated reporting system, we can take immediate action on cases like this.”last_img read more

INISHOWEN MAN REMANDED IN CONNECTION WITH MURDER OF PARENTS

first_imgAn Inishowen man charged with murdering his parents at their Carndonagh home is to appear in court again on March 13th.Julian Cuddihy appeared in court yesterday. Pic by Northwest News Pix.Julian Cuddihy appeared at Harristown District Court yesterday where he was remanded in custody. The 42 year old is charge with killing his parents Jimmy, 77, and Kathleen, 73, last October.INISHOWEN MAN REMANDED IN CONNECTION WITH MURDER OF PARENTS was last modified: February 14th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalInishowenJulian Cuddihylast_img read more

Labor pledges 165000 for Pronia

first_imgPronia is set to receive $165,000 under a Shorten Labor Government. The funding, which will occur over the next four years, is to help with emergency relief for newly-arrived Greeks and to assist in providing ongoing services to Pronia’s clients.MP Peter Khalil  has worked closely with Pronia in his electorate in the lead-up to this announcement.“I’m so proud of the work Pronia does in the electorate of Wills in providing much needed services to the Greek community of Wills, and beyond to wider Victoria,” Mr. Khalil said.“That’s why the Labor party decided to support these important services, unlike the Morrison Government who continue to slash funding to vital emergency relief.”The funding comes as part of the Labor Party’s announcement to provide over $40 million over four years to emergency relief organisations around Australia.“This is a welcomed announcement for Pronia,” said MP Maria Vamvakinou, who has been working closely with the organisation in her role as the Deputy Chair of the Migration Committee.“This additional funding to Pronia will ensure they have the capability to offer assistance to Melbourne’s Greek community, and ensure they can care for the most vulnerable in our community.” Facebook Twitter: @NeosKosmos Instagramlast_img read more