Supporters of Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station remain concerned about the potential for a proposed wind farm located 25 miles from the western New York base to interfere with flight training despite the reassurances of a former DOD official working for the developer.David Belote, who had been the first director of the Pentagon’s Siting Clearinghouse, told base supporters that defense officials believe the project on the shores of Lake Ontario would not interfere with military testing or training activities in the area. That conclusion followed an informal analysis by the clearinghouse.“They showed us some stuff that indicated they’re doing their due diligence. I don’t think they had anything definitive,” said John Cooper Sr., president of the Niagara Military Affairs Council.Belote said the project would not affect the installation’s C-130 operations or drone operations slated to come to the air reserve station soon.Installation advocates remain skeptical, however, reported the Lockport Union-Sun & Journal. DOD will not conduct a formal review of the project until Charlottesville, Va.-based Apex Clean Energy reveals the exact height and location of the turbines. Somerset Supervisor Dan Engert worries the DOD review doesn’t consider the same factors the department takes into account when it prepares its BRAC recommendations.“Neither an informal or the required formal review would ever answer the most pressing question facing Niagara County and our region, which is whether Lighthouse Wind would impact the Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station encroachment score in future BRAC proceedings,” said Engert, who recently met with Belote.“The stakes are awfully high,” he said. Dan Cohen AUTHOR
IBTimes VideoRelated VideosMore videos Play VideoPauseMute0:05/1:07Loaded: 0%0:05Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVE-1:02?Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedSubtitlessubtitles settings, opens subtitles settings dialogsubtitles off, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. COPY LINKAD Loading … BJP’s Pramod Sawant sworn in as the new CM of Goa on March 19 IBTimes VideoRelated VideosMore videos COPY LINK Close Sawant went to the Raj Bhavan after Bharatiya Janata Party chose him as Parrikar’s successor. This was done after both the allies of BJP – Goa Forward Party’s Vijai Sardesai and Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP)’s Sudin Dhavalikar – were offered the posts of deputy chief ministers.To lay claim on the state’s top position, the 45-year-old had the backing of Nitin Gadkari and BJP president Amit Shah. Gadkari, who was a key player in bringing the allies together, told Indian Express, “Our alliance partners and MLAs are going to meet the Governor. Signed letters establishing our majority will also be submitted to the Goa Governor.” Goa Chief minister Pramod SawantTwitterThe swearing-in ceremony was presided by Goa Governor Mridula Sinha.”I don’t know if I will be able to fill in the shoes of Manohar Parrikar, he was a very tall leader …It is a very big responsibility that the party has given me. I will try my best to fulfil it. I am what I am today because of Manohar Parrikar,” Pramod Sawant was quoted as saying by Economic Times. AFP/Getty ImagesA two-time MLA from Sanquelim constituency, Sawant is an Ayurvedic medical practitioner and his wife Sulakshana Sawant is the president of BJP Goa Mahila Morcha. She is also a chemistry teacher at Shri Shantadurga Higher Secondary School in Bicholim.Sawant was a close confidant of Manohar Parrikar. During Parrikar’s last days, he had asked Sawant to perform all state duties, including hoisting the flag on national days. He has the strong support of the RSS and this closeness, according to ET, is one of the reasons why MGP and GFP did not support him in the primary stages. He has been a member of the RSS since his childhood and was also a Yuva BJP leader during his adolescence. Sawant’s swearing-in came at a period of high drama after Parrikar’s death with rumours floating around that two MGP MLAs had defected to BJP on Monday morning. However, after Sawant was sworn in, he clarified that there was no defection and that the BJP and the MGP were allies.At 1.50 am on Tuesday, Sawant was sworn in along with 11 others to form a fully functioning Goa cabinet. However, with the death of Parikkar and Francis D’Souza and the resignation of two Congress lawmakers, the Goa Assembly population has dwindled to 36 MLAs. Close Manohar Parrikar: The epitome of efficiency and simplicity
Jatiya Oikya Front convenor Kamal Hossain. File PhotoA general dairy (GD) was lodged with Islamic University police station in Kushtia on Friday against Jatiya Oikya Front chief Kamal Hossain on allegation of threatening journalists, reports UNB.Acting editor of Bangla daily Bangladesh Shomoy Mostafizur Rahman, and also a professor of Folklore Studies department of the university, filed the complaint, said Raton Sheikh, officer-in-charge of the police station.”Since the incident didn’t happen in Kushtia, we cannot take up the case. The complaint has been accepted as a general dairy,” said the OC.In his GD, Mostafizur Rahman alleged that Dr Kamal Hossain, after paying tributes at Martyred Intellectuals Memorial in the capital’s Mirpur area, threatened journalists when one of them asked him whether there was any connection of Oikya Front with the war criminals of Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami.In the complaint, he also said Dr Kamal not only threatened the journalists but also criticized them during a live broadcast saying, “How much money have you received? Why are you asking these unnecessary questions? What’s your name? I’ll see you … which media do you work for … will remember you.”Mostafizur Rahman also mentioned that it was a threat to media as well as disrespect to the glorious image of society as thousands of people were watching it on television channels. “This incident has scared the media workers as well,” he said in the complaint.Such threats and fearsome comments by Dr Kamal Hossain are contrary to constitutional rights of independent journalism as well as a threat to freedom of expression, he mentioned adding that this act is a criminal offence as per the Digital Security Act 2018 and Bangladesh Penal Code.Confirming the filing of the GD, SM Tanvir Arafat, Superintendent of Kushtia police, said the GD was forwarded to Darus Salam police station of Dhaka Metropolitan Police.
Sri Lanka’s president Maithripala Sirisena (R) listens to former president Mahinda Rajapakse. AFP File PhotoSri Lanka’s strongman leader Mahinda Rajapakse will step down on Saturday from his disputed position of premier, his son said on Friday, signalling an end to the seven-week long power-struggle that threatened to shut the government.”To ensure stability of the nation, former president …(Rajapakse) has decided to resign from the premiership tomorrow after an address to the nation,” his legislator son Namal said.The announcement came shortly after the Supreme Court banned Rajapakse, 73, and his purported government from exercising the powers of the office they claimed since October.A day earlier, the Supreme Court opened the way for potential impeachment proceedings against president Maithripala Sirisena ruling that he broke the law by dissolving parliament last month.A seven-judge bench unanimously agreed that Sirisena violated the constitution when he dissolved parliament last month to prevent Rajapakse suffering a humiliating defeat on the floor of the House.Sirisena had also called a snap election nearly two years ahead of schedule. That was also cancelled by the courts.Namal Rajapakse said they will join a coalition with Sirisena who triggered the political crisis on 26 October by initially sacking prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and replacing him with former foe Rajapakse.Two of the country’s highest courts suspended Rajapakse till he could prove his legitimacy after he failed two no-confidence motions in the 225-member legislature in mid-November.The court rulings also meant that the Indian Ocean nation of 21 million people was effectively without a government and heading for a shutdown raising fears among international credit rating agencies and holders of Sri Lankan bonds.The country was taken by surprise when Sirisena sacked Wickremesinghe on 26 October, almost two years before his five-year term was up and called a snap election for 5 January.Wickremesinghe refused to step down maintaining that his sacking was illegal. That issue is currently being canvassed before courts.- New government -Political sources said Wickremesinghe was likely to be sworn in on Sunday morning, in a move that is expected to end the power vacuum.There was no immediate comment from Sirisena or his office, but an MP from his party, Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena, told reporters that the president agreed to the latest measures to avoid a government shutdown after 31 December.If the stalemate continued, we would have ended up without a budget for 2019 and the government would not have been able to function,” Abeywardena said.Earlier, Sirisena had refused to reinstate Wickremesinghe saying he had serious cultural and policy differences with him. However, sources close to both sides said they managed to sink their differences during a closed-door meeting on Thursday.On Wednesday, the legislature voted overwhelmingly to demand the reinstatement of Wickremesinghe.The leftist JVP, or the People’s Liberation Front, insists that Sirisena should be investigated for orchestrating what they call a coup and that there should also be an impeachment process.
In today’s film news roundup, Disney is developing “Flora and Ulysses” for its streaming service, Luke Wilson’s “The S—heads” gets distribution and Taika Waititi’s “Jojo Rabbit” rounds out its cast.FAMILY DRAMADisney is in early development of a family drama based on Kate DiCamillo’s novel “Flora and Ulysses” for its upcoming Disney DTC (direct-to-consumer) service, Variety has learned exclusively.“Flora and Ulysses” centers on a cynical girl who spends her time reading comic books and a squirrel who is run over by the neighbor’s vacuum cleaner. The squirrel’s brush with death causes him to develop superpowers.The book won the John Newbery Medal from the Association for Library Service to Children. Gil Netter is producing and Lena Khan will direct from a Brad Copeland adapted script. Sam Dickerman is the Disney exec. Popular on Variety The Disney-branded DTC streaming service will launch in the latter part of 2019, streaming the latest Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars feature films. The studio will produce four to five feature films a year exclusively for the service.Disney is also planning to produce a number of original series for the new service, including a series based on Pixar’s Monsters franchise, a “High School Musical” series, a series from Marvel Television, and a live-action “Star Wars” series that Jon Favreau will executive produce.DISTRIBUTION DEALSlate Entertainment Group has acquired worldwide distribution rights to Macon Blair’s road comedy “The S—heads,” starring Luke Wilson and Ron Funches, for its blockchain video on demand platform Binge.Danny McBride, David Gordon Green, and Jody Hill’s Rough House Pictures, Alex Orr, and Filmscience will produce alongside Jeremy Saulnier, Blair’s Bonneville Films and XYZ Films. SEG is fully financing the project with production to commence at the beginning of 2019.Although it’s a global streaming platform, SEG said Thursday that it is committed to supporting the theatrical experience and will give selected films on the Binge platform theatrical windows.Blair is directing from his own script, which follows a pair of deeply unqualified bozos who’ve been hired to transport a troubled teenage millionaire to rehab. XYZ Films, an SEG strategic partner, will oversee production on behalf of SEG and brokered the deal with CAA Media Finance, which also packaged and arranged financing for the film.PRODUCTION STARTFox Searchlight Pictures has launched production on the satire “Jojo Rabbit” in the Czech Republic with “Thor: Ragnarok” director Taika Waititi helming.Previously announced cast include Scarlett Johansson, Sam Rockwell and Rebel Wilson. The studio announced Thursday that New Zealand actress Thomasin McKenzie (“Leave No Trace”) has joined the movie along with newcomer Roman Griffin Davis as Jojo. Producers are Waititi, Carthew Neal and Chelsea Winstanley with Kevan Van Thompson serving as executive producer.“I’m stoked to begin shooting my anti-war satire,” Waititi said. “We’ve assembled an incredible cast and I couldn’t be more excited to finally ridicule Nazis and their beliefs. This film is going to piss off a lot of racists and that makes me very happy.” ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15 The story follows an awkward young German boy, played by Griffin, raised by a single mother (Johansson). His only ally is his imaginary friend Hitler, played by Waititi. His naïve patriotism is tested when he meets a young girl, played by McKenzie, who upends his world views.
Satellite operator Arabsat is to exclusively distribute three HD channels from SPI International in the Middle East and Africa.Arabsat will distribute HD and SD versions of combat sports channel Fightbox HD, factual channel Docubox HD and fashion and lifestyle channel Fashionbox HD from the 26° East and 20° East orbital positions.“We are very pleased to start a partnership with SPI International; we are committed to provide them with the best satellite services and bring them to Arabsat neighborhood of more than 170 million viewers over the Middle East and Africa. We pledge our support to help SPI International expand and wish them the very best of luck, said Khalid Balkheyour, president and CEO, Arabsat.“Following the successful launch of our new HD channels in Europe, Asia and North America we are very happy to partner with Arabsat and expand our global reach to Middle East and Africa,” said Loni Farhi, SPI International president.
Former Channel 5 boss Dawn Airey has left her position as chief of Yahoo’s European operations.Airey is well-known in UK TV circles, having been at Channel 5, Channel 4 and ITV in her career. She joined Yahoo in late 2013 as senior VP, EMEA.Yahoo confirmed her departure with a statement: “We are incredibly grateful to Dawn for her dedication and contributions to Yahoo over the past two years, and for her leadership of this extremely important region.”She will be replaced at Yahoo by Nick Hugh who is currently general manager, advertising, EMEA.At the internet firm she reported to COO Henrique de Castro. At the point she was hired, he said: “Dawn is well known for her visionary thinking, operational discipline and leadership skills, and I can’t wait to work with her as we position Yahoo! for growth throughout the EMEA region.”Airey was recently one of a number of senior media execs appointed to advise the government ahead of UK pubcaster the BBC having its Charter renewed.Last September Airey brought former Disney and Endemol sales boss Tom Toumazis on to her team ashead of partnerships.