9 months agoPorto midfielder Hector Herrera on Arsenal, Wolves radar

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Porto midfielder Hector Herrera on Arsenal, Wolves radarby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the lovePorto midfielder Hector Herrera is on Arsenal’s radar this month.TMW says Arsenal are planning a move for Porto ace Herrera.Gunners boss Unai Emery is looking at the midfielder as he seeks to strenghten his option.But he’s not alone. Roma, Atletico Madrid, Sevilla and Wolves have also been linked.Herrera enjoyed an outstanding World Cup with Mexico and was linked with Real Madrid last summer. last_img read more

Ottawa orders regulator to investigate telecom sales practices

first_imgThe sales practices of Canada’s largest telecommunications companies – a long-time sore spot for many consumers – will be the subject of a public inquiry ordered by the federal government on Thursday.“Like many Canadians, we are concerned by allegations of clearly inappropriate sales practices by telecom carriers,” Navdeep Bains, the minister responsible for telecommunications, said in a statement.“We have listened to Canadians about this issue, and we are taking action.”Bains said he has directed the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission to conduct the investigation, including a public inquiry, and report on the sales practices used in the industry.His statement didn’t point a finger at particular industry players or specify which practices have been inappropriate.John Lawford, executive director the Public Interest Advocacy Centre in Ottawa, said he’s happy that the minister had asked for a public inquiry that will take a wide look at long-standing practices that are widespread.“I think consumers are going to see some real changes. Because it’s going to be hard to write a report that doesn’t have at least some recommendations to change the way things go.”“I hope the major telecoms are going to feel a little bit more fair when they sell stuff,” Lawford said from Ottawa.He said one the biggest sore points has been promotional discount prices that don’t last for the term of the entire service contract and add-on fees that aren’t well disclosed.“So the consumers feel they have been promised one price and had to pay another,” Lawford said.CRTC chairman Ian Scott had previously declined calls for a public inquiry lodged earlier this year by PIAC and OpenMedia, two consumer advocacy groups that often do battle with Canada’s major carriers such as BCE’s Bell, Rogers Communications, Telus and Quebecor’s Videotron.Rogers Communications issued a brief statement saying, “We strive to deliver the best possible experience for our customers with products and services that best meet their needs and budget, and we will participate and share how we work to be clear, simple and fair with our customers every time they contact us.”OpenMedia’s Katy Anderson said in an email that it’s unfortunate that the CRTC “needed guidance from the government” but added she was encouraged that Bains had ordered an investigation.“Hopefully this sends a strong signal to the CRTC to keep the interests of Canadians front of mind in all their decisions,” Anderson said.The CRTC is an arms-length regulatory body responsible for upholding the Telecommunications Act and the Broadcasting Act, which are both under review by the federal government.In that capacity, the CRTC has attempted to balance sometimes conflicting mandates – such as protecting the interests of consumers while creating conditions that allow for private-sector investment in infrastructure and innovation.Scott wasn’t available for comment but a CRTC spokeswoman acknowledged receipt of the minister’s directive.“`We understand that there are growing concerns about the issue. And we will announce next steps in due course,” Patricia Valladao said.last_img

Water out of thin air California couples device wins 15M

first_imgLOS ANGELES, Calif. – It started out modestly enough: David Hertz, having learned that under the right conditions you really can make your own water out of thin air, put a little contraption on the roof of his office and began cranking out free bottles of H2O for anyone who wanted one.Soon he and his wife, Laura Doss-Hertz, were thinking bigger — so much so that this week the couple won the $1.5 million XPrize For Water Abundance. They prevailed by developing a system that uses shipping containers, wood chips and other detritus to produce as much as 528 gallons (2,000 litres) of water a day at a cost of no more than 2 cents a quart (1 litre).The XPrize competition, created by a group of philanthropists, entrepreneurs and others, has awarded more than $140 million over the years for what it calls audacious, futuristic ideas aimed at protecting and improving the planet. The first XPrize, for $10 million, went to Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen and aviation pioneer Burt Rutan in 2004 for SpaceShipOne, the first privately financed manned space flight.When Hertz learned a couple of years ago that a prize was about to be offered to whoever could come up with a cheap, innovative way to produce clean freshwater for a world that doesn’t have enough of it, he decided to go all in.At the time, his little water-making machine was cranking out 150 gallons a day, much of which was being given to homeless people living in and around the alley behind the Studio of Environmental Architecture, Hertz’s Venice Beach-area firm that specializes in creating green buildings.He and his wife, a commercial photographer, and their partner Richard Groden, who created the smaller machine, assembled The Skysource/Skywater Alliance and went to work. They settled on creating little rainstorms inside shipping containers by heating up wood chips to produce the temperature and humidity needed to draw water from the air and the wood itself.“One of the fascinating things about shipping containers is that more are imported than exported, so there’s generally a surplus,” said Hertz, adding they’re cheap and easy to move around.And if there’s no wood chips around for heat, coconut husks, rice, walnut shells, grass clippings or just about any other such waste product will do just fine.“Certainly in regions where you have a lot of biomass, this is going to be a very simple technology to deploy,” said Matthew Stuber, a professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering at the University of Connecticut and expert on water systems who was one of the panel’s judges.He called their water-making machine a “really cool” merging of rather simple technologies that can be used to quickly deliver water to regions hit by natural disasters, stricken by drought or even rural areas with a shortage of clean water.Hertz and Doss-Hertz are just starting to contemplate how to accomplish that.Theirs was among 98 teams from 27 countries who entered the competition. Many teams were bigger and better funded, while the couple mortgaged their Malibu home to stay in the game. At one point, they were told they hadn’t made the final round of five, but one team dropped out and they were back in.“If you say we were the dark horse in the race, we weren’t even in the race,” Hertz recalled, smiling.He stood near a giant copy of the check in his office while Doss-Hertz prepared to leave for a photo shoot and a visitor sampled a glass of their freshly made water.Now, though, they are in for the long, wet haul.“There’s no restrictions whatsoever on how it’s used,” Hertz said of the prize money. “But Laura and I have committed to using it all for the development and deployment of these machines, to get them to people who need the water most.”last_img read more

World Cup will not impact Benitezs transfer plans

first_imgNewcastle manager Rafael Benitez has insisted that the performances of the players at the World Cup will not have an effect on his summer transfer plansThe Spaniard, who is currently facing an uncertain future at St James’ Park, has confirmed that he has begun making his plans with managing director Lee Charnley.But the former Liverpool manager has refused to judge players based on their performances in the upcoming World Cup this summer in Russia.“I don’t think so. We have people going around but now you can see a lot of players and you don’t have to be there.” said Benitez, according to Chronicle Live.“Also I am not a fan of the Euros and World Cup in terms of signing players from there because when they go there, what do they have? Something you don’t have for ten months, it’s not guaranteed for ten months.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“When you go to the Euros and the World Cup, everybody wants to go and they are motivated. This motivation for one or two weeks, for some players it is enough to make a name and then go to a top side.“But after for ten months, maybe they don’t reach the level. I am not impressed with the World Cup or Euros in terms of signing players because they do well there.”After a difficult start in their return to the Premier League this season, there has been a notable upturn in form for Newcastle since the beginning of the new year and Benitez’s side have climbed to an unexpected 10th place in the standings.Yet the 57 year-old has previously stated that he will not be satisfied until they reach his 40 point target with Newcastle just two points shy.last_img read more

Gabriel Barbosa announces move to Flamengo

first_imgBrazilian striker Gabriel Barbosa has announced he’s moved to Flamengo from Inter Milan on social mediaThe 22-year-old returned to Italy on January 7 after spending a year-long loan spell back at his old club Santos in Brazil.Barbosa had hoped to convince Inter coach Luciano Spalletti to retain him this month and give him “a chance” to prove his worth after never being handed a start in his 10 appearances for the club.While Flamengo confirmed their interest in signing Barbosa last month with Premier League side West Ham also reportedly interested.And it appears that the Brazilian has chosen to go back home by joining Flamengo after tweeting a video of himself playing Pro Evolution Soccer for the club with the caption: “I’m a player at Flamengo!”.No official announcement has been made by the club yet with Globo Esporte reporting that Barbosa has signed up on another year-long loan spell.Romelu Lukaku, Inter MilanLukaku backed to beat Ronaldo in Serie A scoring charts Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Former Inter Milan star Andy van der Meyde is confident Romelu Lukaku will outscore Cristiano Ronaldo in this season’s Serie A.Barbosa scored 18 goals in 35 Brazilian Serie A matches for Santos last season.Sabe aquela brincadeira que só acontece no vídeo game ou em sonho:⠀”Um dia eu vou jogar no Mengão, no Maraca lotado, com toda aquela nação gritando meu nome!” ☝🏾🏟Meu sonho agora é realidade. 🙌🏾⠀Eu sou jogador do @Flamengo! 🔴⚫Tamo junto Nação! 👊🏾⠀#FechadoComOMengão pic.twitter.com/WRDHIFc7fg— Gabriel Barbosa (@gabigol) January 9, 2019last_img read more

Landfills To Reopen On Sundays On May 6

first_imgThe Kenai Peninsula Borough Assembly voted to close Borough dumps on Sunday from October to May. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Beginning tomorrow, May 6th, the Central Peninsula Landfill and Transfer Facilities and Sites will be open on Sundays. The FY2017 budget put forth a plan to close Borough landfills one day a week for the entire year. The Assembly ultimately compromised and decided it would keep landfills open seven days a week from May to September.center_img All facilities will be open 7 days a week starting on May 6. For more information, call the Kenai Peninsula Borough Solid Waste Department at (907) 262-9667last_img read more