ALBANY, N.Y. – Pet owners were rechecking their cabinets and threatening legal action after state officials said rat poison was found in pet food blamed for the deaths of at least 16 cats and dogs. It was unclear how many deaths would eventually be linked to the “cuts and gravy”-style food produced by Menu Foods, but scientists said Friday that they expected more would be announced. The substance in the food was identified as aminopterin, a cancer drug that once was used to induce abortions in the United States and is still used to kill rats in some other countries, state Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker said. The federal government prohibits using aminopterin for killing rodents in the U.S. State officials would not speculate on how the poison got into the pet food, but said no criminal investigations had been launched. The pet deaths led to a recall of 60 million cans and pouches of dog and cat food the company produced and sold throughout North America. After Friday’s announcement, Menu Foods food advised retailers to remove all brands from their shelves, a company spokesman said, though the recall still applies only to the dog and cat foods identified on its Web site since March 16. Those cover cans and pouches of food packaged from Dec. 3 through March 6. “The recall has not been expanded,” Menu spokesman Sam Bornstein said Saturday. Menu Foods, based in Ontario, Canada, said it would take responsibility for pet medical expenses incurred as a result of the tainted food, but it was cold comfort to the owners of pets sickened or killed. “Before they put this stuff in the bags, there should be some kind of test,” said San Fernando Valley resident Jeff Kerner, whose Yorkshire terrier Pebbles died Thursday. “I can’t just let it go. Even if they just change the law.” The dog had eaten some of the food, Kerner said, and he was contacting an attorney because he wanted to prevent another pet tragedy. Some pets that ate the recalled brands suffered kidney failure, and the company has confirmed the deaths of 15 cats and one dog. However, pet owners and veterinarians said the tally could actually be higher, and other deaths were reported anecdotally around the country. There is no risk to pet owners from handling the food, officials said. The Food and Drug Administration has said the investigation was focused on wheat gluten in the food. The gluten itself would not cause kidney failure, but it could have been contaminated, the FDA said. Paul Henderson, chief executive of Menu Foods, confirmed Friday that the wheat gluten was purchased from China. Bob Rosenberg, senior vice president of government affairs for the National Pest Management Association, said it would be unusual for the wheat to be tainted. “It would make no sense to spray a crop itself with rodenticide,” Rosenberg said, adding that grain shippers typically put bait stations around the perimeter of their storage facilities. Scientists at the New York State Animal Health Diagnostic Center at Cornell University and at the New York State Food Laboratory tested three cat food samples provided by the manufacturer and found aminopterin in two of them. The two labs are part of a network created after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks to keep the nation’s animals and food supply safe. “Any amount of this product is too much in food,” Hooker said. Aminopterin is highly toxic in high doses. It inhibits the growth of malignant cells and suppresses the immune system. In dogs and cats, the amount of aminopterin found – 40 parts per million – can cause kidney failure, according to Bruce Akey, director of Cornell’s diagnostic center. “It’s there in substantial amounts,” Akey said. Donald Smith, dean of Cornell’s veterinary school, said he expected the number of pet deaths to increase. “Based on what we’ve heard the last couple days, 16 is a low number,” Smith said. Aminopterin is no longer marketed as a cancer drug, but is still used in research, said Andre Rosowsky, a chemist with the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. Rosowsky speculated that the substance would not show up in pet food “unless somebody put it there.” Henderson said Menu Foods does not believe the food was tampered with because the recalled food came from two different plants – one in Kansas, one in New Jersey. Menu continues to produce food at the two plants.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Leave a CommentOhio Farm Bureau is teaming up with the Mid-America Restaurant Expo, presented by the Ohio Restaurant Association to promote Farmers Crossing, an all-new area dedicated to local farmers and highlighting the farm-to-table concept.The expo is an annual restaurant and food service industry trade show that takes place at the Greater Columbus Convention Center Jan. 13-14, 2019.According to the ORA, the goal of Farmers Crossing is to “embrace local sourcing of products while supporting sustainability of our agricultural community and promoting collaboration between farmers and chefs.”Ohio Farm Bureau is the presenting sponsor of Farmers Crossing.“We’re very excited to work with Ohio Farm Bureau,” said Homa Moheimani, manager of media and communications for ORA. “A big trend that is going on now and has been for a while is the farm-to-table concept and we thought that would be an exciting and dynamic aspect to bring to the expo.”Moheimani noted that Farmers Crossing will give “farmers who want to break in to the restaurant market or farmers who want to grow their market an excellent opportunity to connect with restaurateurs and other attendees at the show.”To encourage those connections, Ohio Farm Bureau will be represented at Farmers Crossing with its own display, as well as giving away two other display spaces to members via a sweepstakes.“Farm Bureau is constantly looking for ways to help growers who want to market their locally grown products,” said Brandon Kern, OFBF senior director of strategic partnerships and policy outreach. “The Farmers Crossing exhibit space at the Mid-America Restaurant Expo is an exciting way for us to connect growers with new market opportunities.”Enter to winAre you a specialty crop grower looking for new marketing opportunities? Click here to enter for a chance to win a free exhibitor space at the Mid-American Restaurant Expo’s Farmers Crossing in January. Two vendor booths will be awarded by random drawing to two separate winners. Entry forms will also be available at county Farm Bureau offices. Deadline to enter is noon, Nov. 29. For official rules, click here. Leave a Comment
Solskjaer’s smash-and-grab: Why this Man Utd manager has more than luck going for himby Chris Beattie9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveCOMMENT: A 1-0 win in London. At Tottenham. On paper it reads like a real smash-and-grab. And it was. But the way Manchester United nicked these three points was a complete 180 to the tale such a result would’ve demanded just a month ago…Jammy. Lucky. Yeah, Spurs fans can feel aggrieved today. Mauricio Pochettino, the home manager, had no complaints in the aftermath. They simply came up against an inspired goalkeeper. But David de Gea would also pull off such performances pre- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The Spaniard was outstanding. Inspirational. But so was what he saw in front of him. As mentioned, this was a smash-and-grab. But it was done by a United on the front foot. In their best traditions. Spurs weren’t locked down. Their play wasn’t stifled. Strangled. It was the opposite. Pochettino’s greatest concern wasn’t breaking down a packed defence. It was the two forwards Solskjaer insisted stayed on the halfway line. No matter the pressure. No matter the time Spurs had in possession. United’s manager always had two attackers waiting to turn Tottenham’s defenders around.Six wins from six. With a bit of luck to help things along. But what’s wrong with being a lucky manager? Especially when it’s his initiative which is bringing this change of fortune.It’s not luck that Solskjaer has decided to go all in with Marcus Rashford as his prime – central – striker. It’s not luck that the Norwegian has realised the best way to win with this group of players is by backing their attacking strength. And it wasn’t luck that produced the winner – via Rashford – at Wembley on Sunday. The reaction of the manager and his staff a clear indicator that a week’s work in Dubai had just come off. Something which the matchwinner would later confirm.“We’ve done a lot of work in training on switching the play and little things like that,” Rashford revealed in the aftermath. “We’ve had a long week in training (in Dubai) and it’s been tough in training, but that’s the type of thing we’ve been working on. So for it to come out in a game is good for us as players and good for the staff as well.” Claims that Solskjaer is simply the beneficiary of player power – that they’re now performing because Jose Mourinho isn’t around – is insulting to the caretaker boss. When he and his staff review Sunday’s win, they’ll be confronted by the same problems as what Mourinho struggled with. A loose back four. An even looser midfield. By rights, Spurs should have taken the three points. But Solskjaer has made a difference. On the training pitch. In team selection. He’s giving this group of United players a tactical platform to go out and win. And as this column has already stated, it’s a platform over 11 years in the making. From the highs with Molde. To the lows with Cardiff City. And everything inbetween. These United players are the recipient of the decade long apprenticeship served by Solskjaer.They may get torn to shreds at the back. But United will always have a chance with De Gea between the posts and the pace they have up front. In the Mourinho era, we’d say the manager can’t trust his back four. But this is Solskjaer’s time, though the sentiment remains the same. He’s leaning on those players regarded as the best inside his squad. And they all happen to be attackers. It’s a cliche, but it’s working for this United manager: attack is the best form of defence.And suddenly this lot do have the makings of a great United team. And in the very best traditions of Sir Alex Ferguson. A great goalkeeper. Attacking, edge-of-your seat pace in attack. If Ed Woodward, United’s vice-chairman exec, can find his manager a new centre-half, they’ll be a step closer to completing the revival.From Gary Pallister. To Jaap Stam. And Rio Ferdinand. Sir Alex broke transfer record after transfer record to find the right centre-half to buttress the style of football he wanted to employ.Five years since the Scot’s retirement and Solskjaer is bringing back that approach. It might as well have been Fergie himself when the manager declared late Sunday afternoon: “We’ve got the best goalkeeper in the world. We’ve got blistering pace…”And now he just needs that centre-half. If Woodward is still hesitating this smash-and-grab should strengthen the manager’s case. Give him what he needs and Solskjaer is proving he can deliver. TagsTransfersOpinionAbout the authorChris BeattieShare the loveHave your say
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Dyche hails Burnley players and staff as they reach fourthby Paul Vegas20 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBurnley boss Sean Dyche hailed his players and staff as Jeff Hendrick’s winner sent them fourth in the Premier League.A set play from the training ground worked a treat as Hendrick, back in his favoured central midfield role, smashed home a deep Ashley Westwood corner at the far post to win a tight Turf Moor tussle against the 10-man Toffees.Seamus Coleman saw red for the visitors early in the second half following a barge on Dwight McNeil, which followed an accidental, but reckless first half challenge that ultimately forced Erik Pieters out of the game.“I don’t get too carried away with league table. I’m more interested in the one at the end of the season,” laughed Dyche.“Don’t get me wrong, it’s to be enjoyed for Burnley Football Club and the fans, but for me it’s about focusing on every game and on where we are at the end of the season.“But within that, there are still moments to be enjoyed and you take in these performances and where we are now, compared to a year ago.“We are in a good place because the players have earned the right. They have come back with a real edge to them and I’ll remind you, I was just as proud of them this time last season, when we didn’t have as many points behind us.”Dyche, who celebrates seven years at Turf Moor later this month, added: “One of my many obsessions is finding different ways to win and today was a really tight, tough game.“They are a really good side and I know they’ve had a tough run, but they have quality all over the pitch.“But I thought we contained them well and the red card probably changes the feel of it.”
Update: The plane reportedly crashed into the TV tower of NBC’s Lubbock affiliate, KCBD. Getting reports that a plane hit the transmission tower of @KCBD11 and that their HDTV tower was severed in two. KCBD is in Lubbock.— Chris Walker (@WalkerATX) February 5, 2015Just got word from our colleagues & friends at KCBD that everyone inside the station IS safe. We have a crew at downed plane now #Lubbock— Brian Holland (@BHollandSports) February 5, 2015Earlier: The start of the Texas Tech-Kansas State men’s basketball game at United Supermarkets Arena in Lubbock has been delayed. The cause of the delay: a small plane has crashed near the Red Raiders’ campus, knocking out the power at Texas Tech’s arena. We are unaware of the severity of the crash. A small plane just crashed near Texas Tech, temporarily knocking out power at the arena. Tip off will be delayed.— Kellis Robinett (@KellisRobinett) February 5, 2015For those familiar with Lubbock, the plane crash is said to have happened near Avenue Q.— Kellis Robinett (@KellisRobinett) February 5, 2015Lights are back on at Texas Tech. Countdown clock indicates we are 8:30 away from tip-off.— Kellis Robinett (@KellisRobinett) February 5, 2015Texas Tech and Kansas State were set to tip off at 9 p.m. E.T. The game will be televised on ESPNU.
Facebook Twitter Login/Register With: “(Teller and Eckhart) were very candid about why they thought it was an important story,” Lynch says. “Their conversations really helped drive (Twitter mentions).” It doesn’t hurt that Teller has a fanatical fanbase from his work in the Divergent series and The Fault In Our Stars.Snowden Advertisement Advertisement Part of the biopic’s appeal was driven by its imminent Sept. 16 release (even though it went on to bomb at the box office). But director Oliver Stone’s politically charged statements about the U.S. election and government surveillance drove Twitter conversation as well. Stone was also the fifth most tweeted about celebrity of the festival, beating out his young actors Joseph Gordon Levitt and Shailene Woodley for mentions. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Natalie Portman dazzled as Jackie, tears were shed at Lion and the Sing soundtrack might finally get Frozen dropped from the family playlist. But while critics and filmmakers applauded the quality work onscreen at TIFF 2016, the internet’s town square, Twitter, had its own list of favourites. The social app’s Canadian entertainment lead Lindsay Lynch explains why these five movies were the most-mentioned on Twitter during the festival.Bleed for ThisAnd the Matthew McConaughey Award for Film with the Most Shocking Physical Transformations goes to … Bleed For This! The biopic of boxer Vinny Pazienza’s comeback following a near fatal car crash fuelled chatter around star Miles Teller’s super fit look as the boxer and co-star Aaron Eckhart’s all-natural paunch as his coach.