A South Korean court ordered Pyongyang’s leader Kim Jong Un to compensate two former prisoners of war who spent decades as forced laborers in the North, in a move that could set a far-reaching legal precedent on the divided peninsula.The ruling was the first time a South Korean court claimed jurisdiction over Pyongyang or issued a compensation order against its leader, according to a campaign group backing the plaintiffs.The two men — one surnamed Han, 87, and the other Ro, 90 — say they were captured during the 1950-53 Korean War, but were never repatriated after the armistice that brought hostilities to a close. Instead, they say they were forced to work at coal mines and other facilities for decades until they escaped the North via China. Ro returned to the South in 2000, and Han a year later.They filed the suit in 2016, saying they had suffered “enormous mental and physical damage” in the North.The Seoul Central District Court on Tuesday ordered the North and leader Kim to pay each of them 21 million won ($17,500), a court spokeswoman told AFP.Following the ruling, a civic group supporting the two said they would take legal steps to seize North Korean assets under Seoul’s control, such as copyright fees for Pyongyang’s state TV. Topics : By the end of the war, there were 170,000 North Korean and Chinese prisoners in the US-led UN forces’ POW camps, while 100,000 South Korean and UN troops were held in the North, according to data by the War Memorial of Korea in Seoul.Pyongyang repatriated only 8,343 South Koreans after the armistice, according to the Seoul government.The South has since raised the issue many times, but the North maintained no former soldiers from the South were being held against their will.Civic groups say some 80 South Korean POWs escaped the North and returned to the South in 2000 and 2001.Lawyers representing the two men welcomed the ruling, saying a South Korean court for the first time “exercised jurisdiction” against “illegal acts committed by Kim Jong Un”.”This is a milestone ruling,” said lawyer Koo Chung-seo, adding it paved the way for further legal action by other individuals against Kim and his regime.Inter-Korean relations have been in a deep freeze following the collapse of a summit in Hanoi between Kim and US President Donald Trump early last year over what the nuclear-armed North would be willing to give up in exchange for a loosening of sanctions.
“When I was told that this garbage has been sent to us by some countries, I ordered immediately that they’d be shipped out on the first ship going to the North American continent. And I told them that if they do not accept their garbage, then you just drop the container near their ports,” Duterte said./PN The President suggested that regular meetings should be conducted to discourage Western countries from shipping their garbage to Asia. President Rodrigo Duterte urges Western countries to cease from shipping their garbage to developing Asian countries. He says the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia have become dumping grounds for hazardous trash from Western countries. CBC.COM MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte has urged Western countries to cease from shippingtheir garbage to developing Asian countries. “If we are talking about improving the ecology of the place, the environment, then we must take into account what we dump,” Duterte said during the Special Lunch on Sustainable Development at the 35th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit in Thailand on Monday. “I think, Mr. Chair, this is as good as any other time and any place to tell the other countries, the Western countries, to be more circumspect,” he added. Earlier this year, Duterte forced Canada to take back 69 containers of trash exported to the country during the previous administration ending the years-long diplomatic row with the Canadians. According to Duterte, the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia have become dumping grounds for hazardous trash from Western countries. In December 2018, South Korea agreed that it will shoulder the shipping cost to take back 6,500 tons of waste that it had originally dumped in the Philippines.
Wellington Police notes: Friday, March 25 to Sunday, March 27, 2016: Friday, March 25, 2016â€¢5:09 p.m. Officers took a report of a vicious animal in the 600 block Circle Drive, Wellington.â€¢6:59 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1400 block E. 16th, Wellington.â€¢8:08 p.m. Edward D. Koehn, 63, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for disobeyed stop sign â€” issued on March 23, 2016)â€¢9:01 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 900 block N. G, Wellington.â€¢10:52 p.m. Officers conducted an outside agency assist in the 100 block W. Lincoln, Wellington.Saturday, March 26, 2016â€¢11:50 a.m. Jordyn M. Miller, 20, Wichita, was issued a notice to appear for disobeyed traffic signal.â€¢1:45 p.m. Jose G. Solis-Lira, 45, Alton, Texas was issued a notice to appear for speeding 55 mph in a 40 mph zone.â€¢4:46 p.m. Officers investigated criminal deprivation of property in the 1000 block S. Jefferson, Wellington by known suspect.â€¢6:20 p.m. Theodore E. Davis, 92, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for driversâ€™ license violation/expired and disobeyed stop sign.â€¢10:47 p.m. Mathew A. Hall, 36, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for illegal registration and defective headlamp.Sunday, March 27, 2016â€¢12:21 a.m. John W. Bustran, 53, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for speeding 32 mph in a 20 mph zone.â€¢12:24 a.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 600 block W. third, Wellington.â€¢1:30 a.m. Non-Injury accident in the 1400 block E. Harvey, Wellington involving a vehicle operated by Kyle R. Robinson, 52, Tonkawa, Ok and a fixed object/culvert owned by the city of Wellington.â€¢5 p.m. Jaime U. Leyva-Sanchez, 41, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for driverâ€™s license violation.â€¢11:15 p.m. Officers took a report of a child custody dispute in the 1100 block S. H, Wellington by known subject(s).