Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award MOST READ Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina TIP-INSThunder: Despite the additions of George and Anthony this season, Westbrook leads the team in points, rebounds and assists. Oklahoma City coach Billy Donovan said Westbrook is no longer the young player who came up with Kevin Durant trying to establish himself. “He is always trying to do what’s best for the team. He didn’t shoot the ball particularly well early (this season),” Donovan said. “He puts a tremendous about of responsibility and ownership on himself as a point guard — that it’s his job to get those guys involved. He was trying to get those guys involved.”Lakers: Julius Randle, thought somewhat undersized as a 6-foot-9 power forward, started his fourth consecutive game at center despite the return of Brooks Lopez (ankle). Randle had been getting irregular playing time but in his first three starts averaged 20.7 points and 11.3 rebounds while shooting 60 percent from the field. “Julius has been great all year. He probably deserves more playing time,” coach Luke Walton said. “He’s obviously been frustrated with me at times, but he’s done a really nice job of when he gets called on does a great job. He produces when he’s out there.” … Rookie point guard Lonzo Ball (shoulder) missed his sixth consecutive game. He is expected to return to practice Thursday.UP NEXTThunder: Play at Staples Center again Thursday when they face the Los Angeles Clippers.ADVERTISEMENT Curry’s 3 lifts Warriors over Mavericks View comments OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Scottie Thompson also worthy of Finals MVP, thinks Cone OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson Meralco ‘never the same’ after Almazan injury in PBA Finals Lakers: Play the middle game of their three-game homestand Friday against Charlotte.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours LATEST STORIES Brian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense The Lakers were led by rookie Kyle Kuzma’s 18 points. The Lakers shot just 41.3 percent from the field on the night, while the Thunder shot 60.2 percent.Ferguson skipped college to play professionally for one year in Australia. He connected on nine of 12 shots, and the 24 points easily surpassed his previous career high of seven.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkThe Lakers jumped out to a 10-0 lead to start the game, but were caught at 26-all by the end of the period.The Thunder took control in the second quarter, outscoring the Lakers 37-18 as George had 13 points in the period. Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Oklahoma City Thunder’s Russell Westbrook goes up for a shot in front of Los Angeles Lakers’ Julius Randle during the first half of an NBA basketball game Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2018, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)LOS ANGELES — Russell Westbrook had 20 points and 12 rebounds in a successful return home and rookie Terrance Ferguson scored 24 in his first career start as the Oklahoma City Thunder routed the Lakers 133-96 on Wednesday night, handing Los Angeles its eighth consecutive defeat.Paul George also scored 24 points and Carmelo Anthony added 21 for the Thunder to complement Westbrook, who was born in Long Beach and went to college at UCLA.ADVERTISEMENT
Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Missing a 3-foot par putt on No. 10 was a killer. He made a slick birdie on the par-5 No. 11, but missed a 7-foot birdie putt on No. 12, then hit his tee shot out of bounds on the 13th and finished with a bogey.He bogeyed the par-3 No. 16 when he missed another short putt, an unfortunate trend for Woods in a week when he was hitting the ball well off the tee.He now turns his attention to the U.S. Open in two weeks.“I just need to hit better putts,” he said. “This week I didn’t really have, didn’t feel comfortable with my lines, and my feel was a little bit off. Consequently I missed a bunch of putts. But I hit it really good this week, so that’s a positive going into Shinnecock, where ball striking is going to be a must.”Moving up and then falling back has become a trend for Woods in his comeback bid.ADVERTISEMENT Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award He was one shot behind going into the final round at the Valspar Championship in March and finished tied for second, a shot behind winner Paul Casey. He was five back at the Arnold Palmer Invitational the next week, but couldn’t do better than a tie for fifth, eight shots behind winner Rory McIlroy.He knows he has to improve but is happy with his game overall, especially because before back surgery in April he didn’t know if he would ever walk again, let alone play competitive golf.“Overall, if I just keep building on this, with how I’m hitting it right now, I’m in good shape for two weeks from now,” he said.His participation dialed up the energy level here all week, with thousands following him on the course and roaring their approval with every good shot. The crowds were supportive and respectful all week, he said, and he tried to just appreciate being here again.“It’s incredible to be able to play golf again at this level,” he said. “Not to have any worries about being able to walk again, like I was. I was struggling there for a while, and now I’m on the other end of the spectrum.”DeChambeau chuckled when asked whether he was hoping Woods would make a run Sunday so they could duel it out. He answered with a firm “no.”“To be able to have this type of caliber (of players) all chasing is kind of special,” he said. “I knew I had to go out there and play well. I couldn’t make many mistakes.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls Cavs’ JR Smith struggles in Game 2 after Game 1 blunder MOST READ “I keep getting a little better,” the 42-year-old Woods said after shooting an even-par 72 on Sunday at Muirfield Village. “Week in, week out, I keep getting just a little bit more fine-tuned. For instance this week, just to be able to make the slight adaptations after the first nine holes and be able to flip it around and shoot a respectable number.”Woods started the final round five shots off the lead, the third time this year he has been within five to start the last day and couldn’t turn it into a win. Bryson DeChambeau won the event in a playoff.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownPlaying in the Memorial for the first time in three years, Woods birdied two of the first five holes Sunday before hitting from a fairway bunker on No. 6 to the rough in the back of the green. Still, he managed par.He hit his approach over the green on No. 7 and settled for par again. He couldn’t make up any ground on the par-3 No. 8, either, leaving his second shot just short of the hole. Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Tiger Woods walks to the green on the seventh hole during the final round of the Memorial golf tournament Sunday, June 3, 2018, in Dublin, Ohio. (AP Photo/David Dermer)DUBLIN, Ohio — Tiger Woods made it interesting again, but slipped from contention on the last day of a tournament.Despite being done in by some poor putting at the Memorial, he believes there still was valuable progress.ADVERTISEMENT Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Lacson: Calamity fund cut; where did P4 billion go? LATEST STORIES View comments
Steven Gerrard and Jose Mourinho Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has offered a glowing tribute of ‘favourite enemy’ Steven Gerrard with the two set to go head to head for the last time in their careers on Sunday.The Liverpool captain will end a memorable 17 years as a professional at Anfield at the end of the season after agreeing to begin a new chapter at LA Galaxy in the MLS.Liverpool are set to honour the newly-crowned Premier League champions with a guard of honour at Stamford Bridge, but Mourinho admitted his focus will be on appreciating Gerrard’s career instead.“If they want to do that [form a guard of honour], obviously my players are going to accept that with respect,” said the Blues’ boss.“But speaking about Liverpool and speaking about honouring the champions, this is my time to honour a champion. It is my time to honour Steven Gerrard.“Steven Gerrard is for sure one of my favourite enemies – an enemy with all the good feeling I can express with that word in football.”Mourinho has enjoyed a hugely successful two spells in charge at Stamford Bridge, and he heralds the Reds’ captain as a significant factor in helping him learn and strive to be the best.“For sure, in England he is my dear enemy. For sure, he is the one that made me a better manager. To stop him or try and stop him has been very, very difficult,” said the 52-year-old.“It is with opponents like him that I am the manager that I am, because I learn with my players and I learn with my best opponents.”The ‘Special One’ also reiterated he tried to sign Gerrard on numerous occasions during his career, but admitted he doesn’t regret not being able to secure a deal for the Liverpool man.He said: “I tried to bring him to Chelsea, I tried to bring him to Inter [Milan], I tried to bring him to Real Madrid but he was always a dear enemy.“I want to honour him and I hope Stamford Bridge has the same feeling as I have, which is we need people like him as our opponents.” 1
Ahead of Anti-Racism Week, starting on 14 March, struggle stalwart Ahmed Kathrada reflects on the reasons South Africa should come out in support of the initiative. He said the movement was not only needed, but also long overdue. Ahmed Kathrada with students of Crawford College. (Image: Supplied)• Multimedia: South Africa, the United Nations and apartheid• Robert Sobukwe: South Africa’s non-racial Africanist• How our African neighbours helped end apartheid• South Africans championing human rights• Ginwala helped shape South Africa’s history Ahmed KathradaA few days ago, I was invited to speak at a Gauteng school ahead of Anti-Racism Week.As I walked on stage, I could not help but marvel at what I saw: a gathering of young people of all races, attending the same school, sitting next to each other on the same floor, attentively listening to talks about racism, discrimination and human rights. For me, this was a snapshot of what South African society is capable of practically achieving through the bridging of racial divides.I remarked, that these young people could teach their parents a thing or two about non-racialism!The visit to the school formed part of activities for national Anti-Racism Week, which officially runs from 14 to 21 March. The campaign is being launched by the Anti-Racism Network South Africa (ARNSA), which comprises some 80 organisations and is driven by the Ahmed Kathrada and Nelson Mandela Foundations.Anti-Racism Week is something new for South Africa, and comes at a time of heightened racial tension in the country. The initiative is not only needed, but is long overdue.I am inspired by the key message of this campaign, which challenges people to #TakeOnRacism. Ahmed Kathrada comes out in support of Anti-Racism week, taking place from 14 to 21 March 2016. (Image: Supplied)It calls on all sectors of society – sport, arts and culture, business, schools and universities, government, civil society, professionals, faith based institutes and media – to unite to challenge this scourge. Very much like the United Democratic Front of the 1980s, ARNSA aims to mobilise the broadest section of society to address a common cause. Back then, it was about crippling the apartheid state. Now, it is about tackling the racism that never really left after 1994.My wish is that every South African supports Anti-Racism Week and gets involved in, or hosts, activities aimed at addressing the issue of race. I would want to see this campaign empowering individuals, organisations and communities to learn and talk about, and speak out and act against all forms of racism – be it personal, institutional, structural or cyber-racism.Combatting racism is not the job of one organisation, a few people or government alone. It is incumbent upon all individuals and institutions. It is not only about securing one’s own rights, but about entrenching the collective dignity of our people.Racism squanders human potential. For us to prosper, we all have to deal with this problem, now.Two years ago, I addressed a special sitting of the United Nations. In my speech, I called for an alternative vision to the global resurgence of racism. At the time, I wondered about the possibilities of the equivalent of the “Greenpeace of anti-racism” – a global civil society movement against discrimination. I added that “the ideal would be to strive towards creating a global anti-racism network to focus on anti-racism education training in all schools across the world. It is the youth that we must educate to prevent them from repeating the foolishness of their parents.”I believe that the formation of ARNSA and the Anti-Racism Week initiative is a step in the right direction. It may not be international as yet. However, it has the hallmarks of a campaign that can be rooted locally, but can also take on global significance.For me, this initiative is a vehicle that drives us ever closer to the horizon of a truly non-racial future – a future where all children, of all races have the same access to opportunities, and where the colour of their skin is not a defining or dividing factor in their lives. When we support Anti-Racism Week, this is the vision that we commit to.For more information on how to participate in Anti-Racism Week, visit www.arnsa.org.za
readwrite Cognitive Automation is the Immediate Future of… IT + Project Management: A Love Affair Massive Non-Desk Workforce is an Opportunity fo… 3 Areas of Your Business that Need Tech Now Related Posts Tags:#Microsoft#now#Windows 8#windows 8 rt#Windows Blue Microsoft’s much-anticipated updated to Windows 8 will be free, will be called Windows 8.1 and will be out “later this year.”All this news came on Tuesday when Tami Reller, the CMO and CFO of Microsoft’s Windows Division, addressed JP Morgan’s Technology, Media & Telecom Conference. Reller wouldn’t commit to a launch date, but promised a public preview edition when Microsoft’s Build 2013 developers conference opens on June 26. Some reports interpreted Reller’s remarks to hint at a full release around the Holidays.Windows 8.1 will work on both Windows 8 and Windows RT, the version of the operating system that runs on ARM processors. See also:Microsoft Is Trying To Build – And Sell – A kinder, Gentler Windows 8Windows Blue’s Goal: You Will Love Metro (Eventually)Tami Reller image is from an earlier Microsoft event.
With over 140 militants already killed this year in the ongoing anti-militancy operations, Hizbul Mujahideen operational commander Riyaz Naikoo has banned its cadre “from using mobile phones to minimise the losses”.“It seems they [Hizbul militants] have damaged their old SIM cards. It’s not possible for them to survive without mobile phones. They have either managed new numbers or are staying without mobile phones,” said Inspector General of Police Muneer Khan.Sources said the killing of Hizb operations commander Yasin Itoo alias Mehmood Ghaznavi in an encounter in Shopian on August 13 had “struck a major blow to striking capability of Hizb” in south Kashmir.A top counter-insurgency official said that after Itoo’s killing, the new commander Naikoo has taken centre stage, and “is trying to keep the organisation’s ranks intact and disallow any defection to the more hard-line group led by Zakir Musa, who claims to represent the Kashmir arm of al-Qaeda”.In a bid to “revive striking capability”, Naikoo has asked militants to “surrender their mobile phones”.“In case of suspension of use of mobile phones, the police too will chalk out a fresh strategy to track them down. The ‘Operation All-Out’ will continue,” said IGP Khan.For the counter-insurgency team in Kashmir, mobile phones had become a handy tool to track militants. Sources said that the militants’ online activi-sm, wherein photos, audios, and videos were frequently uploaded on social media, “became a major tool to track them”. Security agencies told The Hindu that the “police had succeeded in planting SIM cards on many militants through its ground force”.Meanwhile, security agencies are closely watching the growing rivalry and online media war between Hizb’s Naikoo and Musa. Concerned by Musa’s growing following online, and to counter his “speeches based on Islamic teachings,” Naikoo recently released a 45-minute video on the political and historical background of the Kashmir issue.