Rangers Ease By Panthers, 5-4

first_imgSUNRISE, Fla. — Rick Nash helped the New York Rangers continue their domination of the Florida Panthers.Nash scored 2:01 into overtime for his third goal of the game, lifting the Rangers to a 5-4 victory over the Panthers on Nov. 21.Nash’s winning goal came on the power play when his wrist shot from the right circle got past Roberto Luongo to give the Rangers their seventh straight win against the Panthers — and fourth straight against Luongo.“I knew (Mats Zuccarello) was in front and I could get it through the defenseman’s legs,” Nash said. “I just shot it and hoped for the best.”Nash’s hat trick was his career seventh and second for the Rangers.Zuccarello and Viktor Stalberg each scored in the third period to put the Rangers ahead 4-2. Henrik Lundqvist made 39 saves as New York bounced back after a loss at Tampa Bay on Thursday night snapped its nine-game winning streak.“We thought we gave away a point on the road (at Tampa Bay),” Nash said. “You want to lock things down. After tonight, I think we’ll take it the way we got it.”Jaromir Jagr, Aleksander Barkov, Jussi Jokinen and Nick Bjugstad scored for the Panthers. Luongo stopped 26 shots.Down two goals, the Panthers scored twice in a 39-second span late in the third period to send the game into overtime.Barkov’s power-play goal pulled Florida to 4-3 with 2:28 left, and Jagr then sent a shot from the right circle over Lundqvist’s shoulder with 1:49 to go. Both goals came as the Panthers played with an empty net.“How many times does it happen, you pull the goalie, you score two goals? It was a great call by our coach to pull him with a lot of time,” Jagr said. “I feel like we played good enough to win.”Reilly Smith missed a penalty shot for Florida with 1:42 left when his shot went high.“There was no quit,” Panthers coach Gerard Gallant said. “I was really proud of our guys tonight because we played one of the fastest teams in the league and we kept up with them and we probably pushed the pace more than they did tonight.”Zuccarello put the Rangers ahead 3-2 when he came on a breakaway and put the puck past Luongo with 9:44 to go in the third. Stalberg stretched the lead to 4-2 when he beat Luongo from low in the right circle on the short side nearly 2 minutes later.“Our goaltender kept us in it,” Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said. “He gave us an unreal performance, and there’s no doubt Nash played one of his better games this year.”Nash gave the Rangers a 1-0 lead when his shot from below the right circle got past Luongo’s glove and went high into the net with 8:52 left in the first period.Bjugstad tied it at 6:46 of the second as Pirri passed from the left circle to Bjugstad in front and he put the puck underneath Lundqvist’s pads.Nash’s second goal put the Rangers ahead 2-1 when he brought the puck from his own end and his shot from the left circle beat Luongo on the short side with 6:38 to go in the second.The Panthers tied it again when Jokinen, in front of the crease, tipped in a shot from the right circle by Brandon Pirri with 2:03 left in the second.Earlier in the second, Lundqvist took a puck to the groin area on a shot by Bjugstad at 3:28 and took several minutes to recover.Chris Kreider had a penalty shot with 6:15 left in the first when he was hooked by Aaron Ekblad. Kreider shot from low in the right circle but Luongo turned it aside with his blocker.According to information provided by the team from the Elias Sports Bureau, Kreider — who had an unsuccessful penalty shot in the third period on Thursday at Tampa — is the first player in Rangers history to have a penalty shot in back-to-back games.The last player in the NHL to have penalty shots in consecutive games was Marian Hossa in 2005 for Atlanta.(PAUL GEREFFI)TweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more

April 12 2002 The Arcosanti Trench Team ATT wor

first_imgApril 12, 2002 The Arcosanti TrenchTeam (ATT) works to replace an old metal pipe that delivers propane tothe Crafts III building [the Cafe, Bakery, Gallery, andhousing), the Ceramics Apse, and the Arcosanti Foundry. Jung il Kwon, a volunteer, lifts apiece of rock out of the trench. [photo: Jeffrey Manta & text: Scott Riley] RonChandler operates a backhoe equipped with a 1000 lb breaker to helpform the 32″ deep trench into the Basaltic rock-soil matrix on themesa. [photo: JAM & text: swRiley] [photo: JAM] A new 2″ PE(Polyethylene) line will replace the current metal pipe. Licensedplumbers from Prescott placed the pipe. [photo: T & text: swRiley]last_img read more

Rep Lucido bill to allow expert testimony in human trafficking cases

first_img Legislation by state Rep. Peter Lucido of Shelby Township, which would allow expert testimony to be admissible during criminal cases involving human trafficking, was approved by the House Law and Justice Committee today.Lucido pointed out the importance of such testimony to explain how victim behavior can be affected by being in a sustained human trafficking environment.“Based on the recommendation of our state’s Human Trafficking Commission, this bill is incredibly necessary,” Lucido said. “Expert witnesses are another reliable and credible resource to go with victim testimony, whether it’s for the defense or the prosecution during trial.  Psychologists can talk about sex abuse, controlling behavior and physical or mental trauma, which these victims often are subjected to in this type of environment. However, we must give the victims an additional credible voice as an option to be used in these cases.”House Bill 4211 will advance to the full House for consideration. 07Mar Rep. Lucido bill to allow expert testimony in human trafficking cases Categories: Lucido News,Newslast_img read more

Liberty Globalbacked Belgian cable operator Telen

first_imgLiberty Global-backed Belgian cable operator Telenet saw the positive impact of uptake of bundled offerings and a modest uptick in its fixed subscriber base partly offset by lower mobile telephony revenue in 2017, resulting in full-year re-based revenue growth of only 1%.Telenet turned in full-year revenues of €2.258 billion, up 4% year-on-year in nominal terms thanks to the acquisitions of mobile outfit BASE and SFR Belux.The 1% boost to rebased revenue included increased input from the company’s wholesale business as well as higher cable subscription and B2B revenue.Telenet had to introduce competitive promotional offers in the fourth quarter to pull in new video, broadband and fixed-phone subscribers in what it described as “a continued intensely competitive environment”.The company did succeed in driving up its post-paid mobile base by 43,800 in the fourth quarter thanks to its new WIGO bundled offering and growth in demand for BASE’s postpaid offerings.Adjusted EBITDA was up 6% rebased and 8% on a reported basis to €1.21 billion, helped along by lower handset costs and subsidies and lower MVNO costs. Telenet is in the process of ‘onboarding’ its full MVNO customers to its wholly-owned mobile network. The company said that it had migrated about 90% of its base by the end of 2017.Telenet now expects adjusted EBITDA growth of 7-8% for 2018.last_img read more

Pitt engineer wins 500000 NSF CAREER award to study impact of harmful manmade

first_imgReviewed by James Ives, M.Psych. (Editor)Feb 26 2019Per- and polyfluorinated alkyl substances (PFAS) are man-made chemicals that are useful in a variety of industries because of their durability, but do not naturally break down in the environment or human body. With evidence showing that PFAS may have adverse effects on human health, Carla Ng, assistant professor of civil and environmental engineering at the University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering, wants to further investigate the potential impacts of these chemicals and identify ways to remove them from the environment. She received a five-year, $500,000 NSF CAREER award to pursue this research.Because of their useful oil- and water-repellent properties, PFAS are used in many consumer products, industrial processes, and in firefighting foams, but unfortunately, their manufacturing and widespread use has contributed to the undesired release of these chemicals into the environment. According to Dr. Ng, more than 4,000 different kinds of PFAS may have been for decades, and detailed toxicity data does not exist for the large majority of these.”One of the pressing concerns with PFAS is its adverse effects on human health,” said Dr. Ng. “Conventional drinking water treatment is not effective at removing most PFAS from water so they can build up in the bodies of humans and wildlife, disrupt normal development, and impair the immune system. Some PFAS have been associated with increases in kidney and testicular cancers in humans.”The goal of Dr. Ng’s CAREER award is to address these issues through a complementary approach using predictive modeling and experiments.”In this project, we will use molecular and organism-scale models to conduct large-scale predictive screening of PFAS hazards,” said Dr. Ng. “With the information gathered from our predictive models about the structure-interaction relationships, we will design new bio-inspired sorbents to remove PFAS from water.Related StoriesOlympus Europe and Cytosurge join hands to accelerate drug development, single cell researchResearch on cannabis use in women limited, finds new studyComplement system shown to remove dead cells in retinitis pigmentosa, contradicting previous research”Because we have so little information about potentially thousands of these substances, we cannot experimentally assess each one; the costs would simply be too great in time, testing, and resources,” continued Dr. Ng. “This is where models can be very powerful tools because they allow researchers to concurrently conduct virtual experiments on many chemicals. When these models are tied to targeted experiments, their predictions can be evaluated and the models improved to be more accurate.”Beyond understanding the effects of these chemicals, models can also provide clues on how to remove them from the environment. Dr. Ng will employ the very characteristics that make PFAS so dangerous against them. By using her models to discover which biological molecules react strongly with PFAS, her group will be able to design a new class of selective sorbents that remove them from water in an efficient and targeted way. She hopes that the knowledge gained during this five-year CAREER award will also help identify hazardous properties in future chemicals.An important objective of this CAREER award is to engage middle and high school students in STEM research by exposing them to the power of modeling and simulation. To do so, Dr. Ng will implement formal educational programs and informal STEM outreach. She plans to elevate K-12 and undergraduate education through the use of collaborative model-building in a game-like environment.”The agent-based modeling language NetLogo is a freely available and accessible model-building tool that can be equally powerful for cutting edge research or for students exploring new concepts in science and engineering while learning useful model-building and coding skills,” said Dr. Ng. “I hope to enhance systems-level thinking and self-confidence among students in STEM so that we can cultivate diverse cohorts of future STEM leaders.” Source:https://www.engineering.pitt.edu/News/2019/NG-Career-PFAS/last_img read more

Game over China to rein in online games in latest industry setback

first_imgChina will restrict the number of video games and take steps to curb playing time by minors to address growing rates of childhood visual impairment as the government steps up its crackdown on the world’s biggest online gaming market. © 2018 AFP ‘Monster Hunter’ on hold as China hits pause on new video games Explore further Citation: Game over? China to rein in online games in latest industry setback (2018, August 31) retrieved 17 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-08-game-china-rein-online-games.htmlcenter_img This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. A statement posted on the Education Ministry website late on Thursday justified the new curbs as a way to counter worsening near-sightedness among minors, after President Xi Jinping earlier this week called for greater national attention on optical health.But the move adds to perceptions that there is a broader campaign to rein in China’s fast-growing video game sub-culture after authorities already made clear their concerns over gaming addiction and the violent content of many shoot-em-up titles.The education ministry statement, also endorsed by seven other ministries, said they will “implement regulations and controls” on the number of games that can be played online, limit new releases, explore an age-restriction system for games, and take steps to reduce playing time by minors.No specifics or timeframe were given.Shares in internet giant Tencent, China’s games leader, dropped by more than five percent in Hong Kong while Perfect World Co, a game developer formerly listed on the US NASDAQ exchange, fell as much as nine percent in Shenzhen. Several other smaller game developers also plunged on Shenzhen tech-heavy exchange.Chinese official studies and media reports have warned of growing rates of near-sightedness, or myopia, and among increasingly younger children. Excessive screen time and strict school study routines are often blamed.A national vision report in 2015 said around 500 million Chinese—nearly half the population above five years old—suffer visual impairment, 450 million are near-sighted, and rates were rising.It estimated visual impairment issues cost China around $100 billion in 2012. ‘Monster’ clampdownBut visual concerns are just the latest reason given for an apparent campaign to put the brakes on wildly popular digital gaming.The industry was rattled earlier this month when Tencent said it was ordered to pull the hit game “Monster Hunter: World” from sale, just days after it debuted.The government’s online list of approved new titles has not been updated since May. Previously, the list had been updated regularly.Shortly after Tencent’s “Monster Hunt” announcement, Bloomberg News reported that China had indeed put a halt to new approvals.Quoting unnamed sources, it said approvals for online, console and mobile games have been stalled for months.Chinese media blamed the hold-up on personnel changes arising from Xi’s consolidation of power at a Communist Party leadership meeting late last year, which has made him the most powerful leader since Mao Zedong.But regulators also have balked at approving games featuring violence and gambling, Bloomberg quoted a source as saying, as Xi pushes a “purification” campaign to purge media and entertainment of content perceived as unsavoury.China is the world’s largest gaming market, with an estimated $37.9 billion in revenue, according to industry tracker Newzoo, but concerns over objectionable content and addiction have fuelled growing scrutiny.Tencent last year began restricting daily playing times for minors on its smash hit “King of Glory” mobile multiplayer battle game.Official warnings over the dangers, and calls for tighter regulation, seemed to gain pace after Chinese media reported in February that a 15-year-old game-addicted boy in central China bludgeoned and strangled a woman to death. State-run Xinhua news agency said the boy told police he wanted to know whether killing was “as easy and fun” as in video games. Beijing is tightening government oversight of the country’s booming video games industrylast_img read more

Boeing dealing with second software problem on troubled jet

first_imgBoeing has found another software issue that needs fixing on its 737 Max jets, and the discovery explains why the aircraft maker is delaying its schedule for getting the planes back in the air. A Boeing spokesman on Friday called it a “relatively minor issue” and said the plane maker already has a fix in the works.The spokesman, Charles Bickers, said the latest issue is not part of flight-control software that Boeing has been working to upgrade for months.That software, known by its acronym MCAS, is suspected in two recent deadly crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia that led regulators to ground the plane worldwide last month. © 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. Credit: CC0 Public Domain Explore furthercenter_img Boeing: 737 MAX certification followed US rules Citation: Boeing dealing with second software problem on troubled jet (2019, April 5) retrieved 17 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2019-04-boeing-software-problem-jet.html This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.last_img read more