France’s GTT bags German FSRU contract

first_imgThe floating storage and regasification vessel will be fitted with GTT’s N096 membrane containment system, the French company said in a statement. Daewoo expects to deliver the vessel with a capacity of 263,000 cubic meters in 2023. LTW, a unit of Uniper, is the project developer and operator behind the potential terminal at the deep-sea port. French LNG containment specialist GTT has won a contract from South Korea’s Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering for the Wilhelmshaven FSRU. The vessel will serve a planned liquefied natural gas import terminal in Wilhelmshaven, Germany on the North Sea.center_img Image courtesy of LTW GTT did not reveal financial details of the contract. To remind, Japan’s Mitsui O.S.K. Lines and Germany’s Uniper signed a build and charter deal for the FSRU last month.last_img read more

Duterte urges Western countries to stop dumping trash in Asia

first_img “When I was told that this garbage has been sent to us by some countries, I ordered immediately that they’d be shipped out on the first ship going to the North American continent. And I told them that if they do not accept their garbage, then you just drop the container near their ports,” Duterte said./PN The President suggested that regular meetings should be conducted to discourage Western countries from shipping their garbage to Asia. President Rodrigo Duterte urges Western countries to cease from shipping their garbage to developing Asian countries. He says the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia have become dumping grounds for hazardous trash from Western countries. CBC.COM MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte has urged Western countries to cease from shippingtheir garbage to developing Asian countries. “If we are talking about improving the ecology of the place, the environment, then we must take into account what we dump,” Duterte said during the Special Lunch on Sustainable Development at the 35th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit in Thailand on Monday. “I think, Mr. Chair, this is as good as any other time and any place to tell the other countries, the Western countries, to be more circumspect,” he added. Earlier this year, Duterte forced Canada to take back 69 containers of trash exported to the country during the previous administration ending the years-long diplomatic row with the Canadians. According to Duterte, the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia have become dumping grounds for hazardous trash from Western countries. In December 2018, South Korea agreed that it will shoulder the shipping cost to take back 6,500 tons of waste that it had originally dumped in the Philippines.last_img read more

Man Utd and Spurs in battle for Rakitic as Barca look to offload midfielder

first_imgMANCHESTER UNITED and Tottenham are set to battle it out for Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic, according to reports.The Catalan giants are prepared to cash in on the Croatian veteran this summer to raise funds of their own.2 Ivan Rakitic is set to spark a transfer scramble this summerCredit: Getty Images – GettyRakitic, 32, has just one year remaining on his deal at the Nou Camp.MAN UTD NEWS LIVE: Follow for the latest United newsHis availability is set to spark a transfer scramble with clubs across Europe including Juventus, Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid set to pursue a deal.But according to Mundo Deportivo, the Premier League pair believe they can lure Rakitic to England.The coronavirus pandemic will leave Barca cash-strapped this summer meaning they will be forced to sell a number of stars to bring in players of their own.Both United and Tottenham are in the market for a new midfielder and know they won’t need to break the bank to sign Rakitic.The Red Devils attempted to land Rakitic in January but the move was blocked because his wife Raquel wanted to remain in Barcelona.He is a serial winner having won ten major pieces of silverware throughout an illustrious career.Rakitic has made it no secret of his desire to rejoin Sevilla whom he left in 2014.But the Spanish side are unlikely to compete financially after the player admitted he is still waiting for them to make contact.2most read in footballTHROUGH ITRobbie Keane reveals Claudine’s father was ’50-50′ in coronavirus battleTOP SELLERGavin Whelan has gone from League of Ireland to David Beckham’s InstagramPicturedAN EYEFULMeet Playboy model and football agent Anamaria Prodan bidding to buy her own clubI SAW ROORodallega saw Rooney ‘drinking like madman’ & Gerrard ‘on bar dancing shirtless’ExclusiveRIYAD RAIDMan City’s Riyad Mahrez has three luxury watches stolen in £500,000 raidNEXT STEPJonny Hayes set to move to English Championship having been let go by CelticREF RELEASEDChampions League ref Vincic released by cops after arrest in prostitution raidKEANE DEALEx Man United youth ace David Jones says Roy Keane negotiated a contract for himNICE RONCristiano Ronaldo goes on family bike ride with partner Georgina Rodriguez & kidsREF RAIDChampions League ref Vincic ‘arrested in raid into drugs and prostitution ring’Last month he said: “I have a special affection for Seville, but directly for the city. I have my family there.”I have always said that it would be a dream to wear that shirt again, everyone knows it but it is not my decision.”Monchi (Sevilla’s sporting director) and everyone at Sevilla has my number but they haven’t called me yet.”Paul Pogba going through gruelling solo fitness sessions at home in bid to come back flying for Man Utdlast_img read more

High court sides with state in challenge to education funding formula

first_imgPhoto: KRBD-Ketchikan.The Alaska Supreme Court announced Friday morning that it has ruled in favor of the state of Alaska in the Ketchikan Gateway Borough’s lawsuit challenging the state’s required local contribution for education.Download AudioThe long-awaited Supreme Court ruling partially reverses a lower-court decision that had agreed with the borough’s argument that the state’s required local contribution violates the Constitution’s prohibition against dedicated funds – or earmarks.The Supreme Court ruling also allows the Legislature to continue with the status-quo for education funding in the state.Borough Manager Dan Bockhorst and all Borough Assembly members were in a day-long strategic planning meeting on the day of the ruling and unavailable for interviews. However, Bockhorst talked about the ruling and its financial implications during that meeting.Bockhorst said he’s disappointed, and predicts the ruling will result in additional costs to municipalities.“There is very little doubt that we are going to suffer very significantly increased property taxes or other taxes as a result of this decision,” he said.Bockhorst told the Assembly that in 2014, when the price of oil was about $108 a barrel, a House task force concluded that the state’s level of education funding wasn’t sustainable.“The task force advised that sustainability would require a number of measures, among which are increased contributions,” he said. “Oil is now selling at $35 a barrel and production is declining.”Bockhorst predicts that the required local contribution will jump by at least 50 percent within the next couple of years. That increase in local contributions would in turn reduce the state’s share of education funding.There was no dissent offered to Friday’s Supreme Court opinion, which was written by Justice Joel Bolger. He writes that the court agrees with the state that the required local contribution is a longstanding cooperative program between the state and local governments.Bolger writes that “the minutes of the constitutional convention and the historical context of those proceedings suggest that the delegates intended that local communities and the State would share responsibility for their local schools.”Assistant Attorney General Kathryn Vogel argued the state’s position throughout the lawsuit’s proceedings. She said she’s pleased with the court’s decision. Local governments throughout Alaska contribute about $225 million a year to public education.“Requiring the local contribution and having that as part of our school funding formula has also maintained our eligibility to offset state formula aid with federal impact aid to the tune of approximately $70 million each year, so there are some significant funding implications to today’s decision,” she said.While concurring with the opinion, Chief Justice Craig Stowers and Justice Daniel Winfree write that the decision might not have favored the state if the borough had instead challenged the constitutionality of the required local contribution under the public schools clause, rather than the dedicated funds clause.The schools clause requires the state to establish and maintain a public school system open to all children in Alaska.Vogel said it was the borough’s choice to not challenge the contribution under that clause.“The state invited in the superior court briefing a discussion of what the education clause means,” she said. “At the time, the borough demurred and said that it was not part of this lawsuit, and as a result it wasn’t litigated.”In a concurrence that reads somewhat like a dissent, Justice Winfree was critical of the required local contribution, and writes that he has “considerable doubt about the constitutionality of the statutorily required local contribution.”But, when challenging a statute, the plaintiff has the burden of persuasion, and Winfree writes that the borough did not overcome that burden.last_img read more