Duterte urges Western countries to stop dumping trash in Asia

first_img “When I was told that this garbage has been sent to us by some countries, I ordered immediately that they’d be shipped out on the first ship going to the North American continent. And I told them that if they do not accept their garbage, then you just drop the container near their ports,” Duterte said./PN The President suggested that regular meetings should be conducted to discourage Western countries from shipping their garbage to Asia. President Rodrigo Duterte urges Western countries to cease from shipping their garbage to developing Asian countries. He says the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia have become dumping grounds for hazardous trash from Western countries. CBC.COM MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte has urged Western countries to cease from shippingtheir garbage to developing Asian countries. “If we are talking about improving the ecology of the place, the environment, then we must take into account what we dump,” Duterte said during the Special Lunch on Sustainable Development at the 35th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit in Thailand on Monday. “I think, Mr. Chair, this is as good as any other time and any place to tell the other countries, the Western countries, to be more circumspect,” he added. Earlier this year, Duterte forced Canada to take back 69 containers of trash exported to the country during the previous administration ending the years-long diplomatic row with the Canadians. According to Duterte, the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia have become dumping grounds for hazardous trash from Western countries. In December 2018, South Korea agreed that it will shoulder the shipping cost to take back 6,500 tons of waste that it had originally dumped in the Philippines.last_img read more

Lady Raiders Lose Hard Battle Against 1A #3 Lady Shiners

first_img1A No. 3 Rising Sun  5,  South Ripley  1Mady Tompkins- 3 for 3Ellie Waldron- 2 for 3 w/RBIMaddie Hamrick- 1 for 3Pitching LossMady Tompkins- 6 IP, 5 Runs, 4 ER, 11 Hits, 10 K, 3 BB“I don’t believe in moral losses or accept losing, but I’m so proud of the effort and play of our girls tonight. We gave the third-ranked team in 1A a run for their money all night and had a 1-1 tie heading into the bottom of the fifth. We had only one error tonight. Unlike our other losses we didn’t beat ourselves. We made a great team beat us. Tonight showed just how good we can be and the potential our young group has.” Raiders Coach Rob Lafary.SR is now 11-7, 5-6 ORVC. SR hosts Shawe on Wednesday night.last_img read more

Cahill enjoying life under Mourinho

first_img Press Association One of the reasons for Mata’s omission is the new demands Mourinho is making of the World Cup-winning Spain playmaker. He wants all of his players to defend and is deploying a higher line at the back. Cahill added: “He really expects you to defend and know where to be. Not just the back four, but everybody when we lose the ball. “I don’t mind playing higher. It’s difficult to play high against people with real, real pace. “(But) I’m quite comfortable with playing high and I think the lads are.” One player who will not be in the Chelsea line-up is Marco van Ginkel. The Holland midfielder has made just two appearances following his £8million move from Vitesse Arnhem and now faces six months of rehabilitation on a knee injury. The 20-year-old underwent surgery on Thursday to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament. If events on the touchline provide intrigue, so too will the team sheet submitted by Mourinho, who rather disingenuously suggested Tuesday night’s Capital One Cup encounter at Swindon was a chance for fringe players to win a first-team place. Mourinho has admitted he is uncertain of his best team, but whether Juan Mata has done enough to earn a place in the starting XI at White Hart Lane remains to be seen. It is likely the Portuguese will field what he considers to be his best side against a Spurs squad he believes are one of five teams who could challenge the Blues for the Barclays Premier League title. Fernando Torres, who scored one and made another at the County Ground to set up a fourth-round tie at Arsenal, could continue at striker, ahead of Samuel Eto’o and Demba Ba. Gary Cahill is likely to remain at the heart of the defence, a position he has played in seven of Chelsea’s eight matches this term; the only one he did not start was the loss at Everton. Following successive losses at Goodison Park and to Basle in the Champions League, Cahill believes Chelsea have bounced back strongly. “It was a tough week, especially when we lost back to back,” Cahill told Chelsea TV. “But we’ve responded really well. Two wins, two clean sheets. Happy days at the minute.” In a master-versus-apprentice contest, Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea take on Andre Villas-Boas’ Tottenham in Saturday’s London derby. Much of the attention will be on Mourinho and his opposite number as Villas-Boas is not only a former Chelsea manager, but also worked with his fellow Portuguese at Porto, Stamford Bridge and Inter Milan. It will be the first time the pair have encountered each other in opposing dugouts after their relationship broke down in 2009. last_img read more