OSU freshman Luke Fletcher celebrates his first varsity victory over Missouri’s Zach Synon. Credit: Sam Janicki. Courtesy of OSU AthleticsThe dual-meet between Ohio State and Missouri, featuring two 2016 Olympians and recognizing last season’s championships won by sophomore Myles Martin and junior Kyle Snyder, the No. 4 Buckeyes dominated the No. 5 Tigers 30-9.Redshirt juniors Nathan Tomasello and Bo Jordan, Snyder and Martin all won in landslide decisions.“You see these four guys, four of the 10 were a critical part of our first national championship,” OSU coach Tom Ryan said.At 133 pounds, Tomasello faced off against Missouri’s Jaydin Eierman, in a match that turned controversial after Tomasello finished a slam out of bounds after a blown whistle.“I didn’t hear any whistle and then as the whistle blew, I already had him in the air,” Tomasello said. “I wanted to finish my tag. I think it was kind of good to get the crowd more involved after that.”Tomasello won the match 11-2. Since beginning the season with an injury, he has lived up to the hype of a championship contender in the few weeks of competition.“Patience, patience is important,” Tomasello said. “Having support from the training staff and from coach Ryan and all the guys like Kyle (Snyder) has helped me to continue to push hard and come back even better than I was last year.”A point of anticipation in Thursday’s match was the debut of OSU freshman Luke Pletcher at 141 pounds, who had his redshirt pulled earlier this week. Down early in the first period, Pletcher rebounded by scoring a late takedown, ultimately prevailing 6-3.“I remember him staying in the fight,” Ryan said. “I remember him scoring late in the periods. You want to be the guy that scores the last points in the period.”Coach Ryan praised Pletcher’s ability to handle the stress and pressure that comes with short turnarounds and tough competition. “We felt pretty good about Luke going in. On a daily basis, he does the things necessary to have a performance like that.”OSU’s Kollin Moore, redshirt freshman at 197 lbs., wrestled the tightest match of the night, taking on Olympic bronze medalist and top-ranked J’den Cox of Missouri. Moore fell behind 0-2 early, but kept close the entire match. Two crucial takedowns in the third period brought Moore within a point of Cox, but his effort fell short, as Cox prevailed 6-4.Bo Jordan and brother Micah won their matches by a combined score of 37-13. Martin scored six takedowns, winning 21-5. Snyder pinned his opponent in the heavyweight division.
Ohio State redshirt junior forward Keita Bates-Diop (33) takes a three-pointer in the second half of the game against Penn State on Jan. 25 in the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo EditorThe No. 17 Ohio State men’s basketball team could not get out of its own way against Illinois. Whether it was foul trouble or turnovers, the Buckeyes did all they could to keep the Fighting Illini in the game. Even with a 19-0 run to close out the first half, Ohio State could not pull away from Illinois and found itself trailing for 16:23 of the game. However, Ohio State (20-5, 11-1 Big Ten) made a late push to retake the lead and come away with the 75-67 win against Illinois (12-12, 2-9 Big Ten), narrowly avoiding what would have been its biggest upset loss of the season.“To respond like we did being down was really important for us and we knew it was going to be a game of some runs and a game of imperfection,” Ohio State head coach Chris Holtmann said. “Having a resilient approach was really important and the guys did that. They deserve a lot of credit.”Trailing 63-60 with 4:31 remaining in the game, redshirt junior forward Keita Bates-Diop drilled a 3 to tie both the game and his career high in points at 32. With 3:39 left in the game, freshman center Kaleb Wesson made a layup to give Ohio State the 65-63 lead. Ohio State finished the game on a 15-4 run to create separation from Illinois in the end.The Buckeyes were carried once again by Bates-Diop, who set a new career high with 35 points. His 13 rebounds, which also led the game, gave him his 10th double-double of the season.With 8:50 left in the second half, Illinois redshirt senior guard Mark Alstork was fouled on a made layup to tie the game at 52. He made the and-1 to give the Illini the 53-52 lead. He stole the ball on the Buckeyes’ next possession and passed it to freshman guard Mark Smith, who took a foul and made his two free throws to put Illinois up three.Ohio State got off to an abysmal start against the Illini, falling into an early 28-13 hole. The Buckeyes quickly regained traction however, fighting back to a 34-30 lead with a 19-0 run over 9:50 to close out the first half. During that stretch, redshirt junior forward Keita Bates-Diop scored 11 points. Ohio State held Illinois scoreless during the final 10:11 of the half.Starting in place of the suspended redshirt senior guard Kam Williams, sophomore forward Andre Wesson started the scoring off for Ohio State with a resounding one-handed dunk for the first basket of the game.Just under four minutes into the game, however, Illinois went on a 17-2 run to pull ahead to a commanding 28-13 advantage. Ohio State battled back, continuing to show this season that even when it allows big runs, it has what it takes to come back from those deficits.“I’m not the most confident guy at that point,” Holtmann said. “When you’ve watched Illinois there has been runs that they do a great job making on teams and then the way they play, it can lead to runs on both ends. I just didn’t think we had enough life to us defensively, but give Illinois credit. But having said that, we do have a pretty poised, confident group.”The Buckeyes did what they needed to do to win. Though they never were able to create much separation from themselves and their opponents, they never gave up and pushed ahead to the eight-point lead late when it needed to ensure it avoided the same devastating loss to Penn State.Ohio State turned the ball over 15 times and was called for 18 fouls during the game, compared to 11 and 23, respectively, by Illinois. The Fighting Illini converted those Buckeye turnovers into 16 points, whereas Ohio State managed 10 points off the Illinois turnovers.Ohio State outrebounded Illinois 45-22 and held a 38-16 advantage in paint points. Ohio State also made 26-of-33 free throws in the win.Up NextOhio State hits the road for its biggest matchup of the year, traveling to West Lafayette, Indiana, to face No. 3 Purdue at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in a clash between the top two teams in the Big Ten.
Spain captain Sergio Ramos is hoping that his Real Madrid teammate Cristiano Ronaldo has a rare bad game ahead of their first match against Portugal at the World CupAfter playing integral roles alongside each other last season as Real claimed a third successive Champions League title, the duo will now line-up at opposite ends for their respective national sides as Spain face Portugal in their Group B opener on Friday.Ahead of the meeting at the Fisht Olympic Stadium, an anxious Ramos admitted that he does not find the prospect of facing an in-form Ronaldo to be inviting and hopes that the five-time Ballon d’Or winner has a rare bad game.“I’d rather have him on my team than against me. We know how dangerous he can be,” said Ramos, according to SportsKeeda.Fiorentina owner: “Ribery played better than Ronaldo!” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Fiorentina owner Rocco Commisso was left gushing over Franck Ribery’s performance against Juventus, which he rates above that of even Cristiano Ronaldo’s.“He ended the season in outstanding shape. He’s a constant threat.“Not only Ronaldo but the Portugal squad are very talented. There are many players who can hurt you quickly, a lot of skill and safe in their defensive formation.“We will see a match for all sports lovers. It will be beautiful. I hope Cristiano doesn’t play his best match.”Following the shock sacking of head coach Julen Lopetegui on Wednesday, Spain have since confirmed that sporting director Fernando Hierro will take charge of the national side for the World Cup.
The Great Basin Incident Management Team reviews Ready-Set-Go! lines each day to assess current and past levels of fire activity, expected weather patterns, and predicted fire behavior. All landlines are automatically registered in the KPB alerts system; however, you must register mobile phones. You can register for KPBalerts by texting to 99411 and follow prompts. If a Level 3 GO! alert is issued, it’s time to evacuate immediately, leave NOW. Please go when you are asked to leave.The Kenai Peninsula Borough has an interactive map that allows you to see the current fire perimeter. Enter your home address in the search field in the upper left corner of the page to see where you home is in relation to the Swan Lake fire. Click here to view the Borough interactive map. A Level 1 (READY) alert is NOT a notice to leave. Visit the KPB blog at www.kpboem.com or call the Borough Call Center at 907-262-INFO (4636) for updates. Monitor social media, news and radio for current Ready-Set-Go! (RSG!) information in your area. This is the time to relocate things like flammable tanks and supplies from your home and outbuildings. Consider the six “P”s: People, Pets, Pills, Pictures, Papers and your Personal computer, that you will take if you need to leave your home. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Sterling and Cooper Landing remain at the Level 1 Ready alert status with fire activity continuing on the Swan Lake fire. Level 1 READY stage means be ready for POTENTIAL evacuation because there is a fire in your area.Sterling neighborhoods EAST of Feuding Lane and EAST of Adkins Road to the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge have been placed on a Level 1 “READY” status.Cooper Landing has been placed on a Level 1 “READY” status due to increased fire activity within the NW side of the Swan Lake fire near Watson Lake. It means you should have a plan to transport and care for family members with mobility needs, pets or livestock, according to the Kenai Peninsula Borough Office of Emergency Management.
The Economist Group, the London-based publisher of the Economist magazine, announced today that Helen Alexander will step down from her position as CEO at the company’s annual general meeting on July 15.Alexander will be replaced by publisher and managing director Andrew Rashbass. Previously, Rashbass served as Economist Group CIO and managing director of Economist.com.Following her departure as CEO, Alexander will become an advisor to private equity group Bain Capital, according to the Economist Group. She also will continue as a non-executive director of the Rolls-Royce Group and energy company Centrica. Alexander joined the magazine in 1985 as marketing manager. From there, she moved on to international circulation and then served as managing director of the Economist Intelligence Unit until 1997 when she became CEO.
X We just reported this week how a consumer group’s latest analysis shows people in Houston and Dallas have, for years, been paying more for electricity than people in Austin and San Antonio.Electricity in Austin and San Antonio is sold by the cities themselves which own their respective utility companies.Houston and Dallas are deregulated markets where people have to choose from dozens of electricity marketing companies offering a myriad of rate plans.Since Texas developed the deregulated market over a decade ago, customers in those areas have collectively paid $24 billion more for electricity, according to the Texas Coalition for Affordable Power.A day after that group released its latest report on the difference in prices, the members of the Public Utility Commission of Texas shot back, saying the de-regulated market is working.“Notwithstanding the so called reports that are put out by certain groups,” said Public Utility commissioner Ken Anderson. “Anybody who’s paying an average of the high and low prices isn’t shopping.”Anderson said people in the deregulated markets can get good rates if they take the time to pick the right plan.But finding those great deals can be difficult because the commission’s own Power to Choose website can be deceptive allowing some marketers to offer what look like low cost rate plans that aren’t. That’s according to consumers and to PUC chairman Donna Nelson.“I really want you all to be looking at these one and a half cent offers because I think they’re deceptive on the face,” said Nelson to staff members, who are working on an over-haul of the website to make the offers more honest. Listen To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: 00:00 /01:21 Share
APThe entrance to the San Jacinto River Waste Pits site is seen, Friday, Sept. 29, 2017, in Channelview, Texas. The Environmental Protection Agency says an unknown amount of a dangerous chemical linked to birth defects and cancer may have washed downriver from a Houston-area Superfund site during the flooding from Hurricane Harvey. EPA said Thursday night it has ordered the companies responsible for the San Jacinto River Waste Pits site to immediately address damage to a protective cap of fabric and rock intended to keep sediments highly contaminated with dioxins from spreading. (AP Photo/John L. Mone)The EPA says it has reached an agreement with two companies that will remove more than 200-thousand cubic yards of toxic waste from the San Jacinto River Waste Pits. The EPA says its agreement with the International Paper Company and McGinnes Industrial Maintenance will cost $115 million.In an emailed statement, EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt said the agreement marks the next step in his commitment to the people of Harris County to expedite the remediation of the San Jacinto Waste Pits site.“EPA will ensure that the remedial design removes all the contamination as quickly and safely as possible and permanently protects the health and safety of the surrounding communities and the San Jacinto River,” Pruitt said.The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will help install engineering controls to keep the site safe before excavation begins. The waste from a paper mill was first pumped into the pits in the mid-1960s and is contaminated with dioxins. The chemical compounds are highly toxic and can cause cancer and reproductive and developmental problems. The remediation will take nearly 2 ½ years to complete. The companies responsible for the clean-up have previously opposed the plan. They say the cap on the pits is secure and attempts to remove the material could result in a harmful spill.Run-off from the San Jacinto River ends up in Galveston Bay. The Galveston Bay Foundation in a statement said it applauds the clean-up plan. Share
Advertising technology provider Smartclip has teamed up with Euronews to deliver advertising for the news channel across the web, mobile and connected TV.Smartclip will deliver advertisements for the news organisation in Europe, Australia, Canada and the US.Olivier de Montchenu, managing director, Euronews sales said: “As we add more and more rich media content to our news channel, it is important that we adapt our advertising formats. We have partnered with smartclip due to the global reach of its community and the fact that with its advertising solutions, our viewers will be able to receive meaningful ads for them.”