Receive email alerts RSF_en Sri Lanka: tamil reporter held on absurd terrorism charge Sri LankaAsia – Pacific September 14, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Police question journalist who said senior official’s son imported luxury car News Organisation Help by sharing this information News July 15, 2020 Find out more to go further Sri Lanka: RSF signs joint statement on attacks against human rights defenders, lawyers and journalists Sri LankaAsia – Pacific Reporters Without Borders is outraged that the police today interrogated Indika Sakalasooriya of the Colombo-based newspaper The Nation about a report that the son of a senior ruling party official imported a British-made luxury car without paying customs duty. The police asked him to reveal his sources.”After last month’s death threats against investigative journalist Iqbal Athas, this new case shows that it is getting more and more difficult for the media to do their job in Sri Lanka,” the press freedom organisation said. “We call on the president to publicly condemn the interrogation of The Nation’s journalist. Protection of sources is essential for investigative journalism.”Police from the Criminal Investigation Department went to The Nation’s offices this morning and politely asked Sakalasooriya to identify his sources for the story about the Aston Martin imported by a senior official’s son, who was not named. The report included a photo of the car, worth more than 40 million rupees. The newspaper discovered that the car was circulating in Colombo with an escort from the security services.Athas has meanwhile stopped writing investigative articles on military matters for the Sunday Times. The government is still refusing to provide him with protection, despite the death threats he received. Indeed, without naming him, the government newspaper Dinamina accused him on 6 September of being in the pay of Norway’s “pro-Tamil Tiger” government. News Follow the news on Sri Lanka July 29, 2020 Find out more Sri Lanka: Journalist manhandled by notorious police inspector currently on trial January 13, 2021 Find out more News
Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) MGN ImageALBANY — Gov. Andrew Cuomo raised alarm Monday about the emergence of a handful of coronavirus hot spots in New York, saying just 10 ZIP codes represented more than a quarter of the state’s new infections in recent testing.New York has reported just over 11,500 new COVID-19 infections over the past two weeks, according to state figures.A disproportionate number of new cases have come from a handful of communities in New York City and its northern suburbs that are home to many Orthodox Jews, who on Monday were marking the high holiday of Yom Kippur.Of the 834 new cases reported Sunday, 27% were in a group of 10 ZIP codes that included several Orthodox neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens and in several Hasidic communities in Rockland County. The state also reported an unusual number of positive tests in an area north of Binghamton in New York’s Southern Tier, a region Cuomo has warned is seeing clusters stemming from a Steuben County nursing home, a church gathering in Chemung County and a pub in Broome County.Health officials in the city and in Rockland and Orange counties have previously raised concerns about rising rates in Hasidic communities, which saw students at religious schools return to in-person learning in early September. Public schools in the city are rolling out in-person learning this week.Cuomo declined to single out any particular group for the spike.“Whatever the population, the answer’s going to be the same — it’s compliance,” Cuomo told reporters Monday afternoon.He urged school leaders to put in requests now for rapid testing machines, which Cuomo said have a 15 minute turnaround for results. The governor said the state has 200 rapid testing machines available for those communities.“The key with these clusters is to jump on them quickly, attack on all sides,” he said.Cuomo also called on local government officials to better enforce COVID-19 restrictions in bars, restaurants and other gatherings.New York City health officials have said they are considering re-imposing restrictions on gatherings in select city neighborhoods where the virus was spreading.Cuomo acknowledged people are getting sick of wearing masks and staying 6 feet apart, but cautioned, “You’ll offend them even more deeply if you start doing close-downs, and that’s what’s going to happen.”Statewide, about 1.5% of people who sought COVID-19 tests wound up testing positive in results reported Sunday. Cuomo warned though that in a handful of ZIP codes, that rate is now up over 20%.Cuomo warned his administration could close schools in areas where too many people are testing positive for the virus.Still, New York’s rate of new infections is far lower than many states: the state reported about four new cases per 100,000 New Yorkers over the past week. That seven-day average reached nearly 50 in April.New York hospitals reported 543 COVID-19 patients as of Sunday, the most since Aug. 18 but only a fraction of the nearly 19,000 who were in the hospital at the pandemic’s April peak.
In addition to the new enhancement, Zoom now allows meeting participants to report a disruptive user by clicking the top-left Security badge. This is in line with how hosts and co-hosts have the ability to report disruptive users and trolls from the Security icon. Moreover, account owners and admins can enable reporting capabilities for non-hosts.Zoom has enabled both the Suspend Participant Activities feature as well as the ability for meeting participants to report a disruptive user on its desktop clients for macOS, PC, Linux, and mobile apps. The features will also reach its Web client and virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) later this year.Zoom has also brought its At-Risk Meeting Notifier that scans public social media posts and other websites to look for publicly shared Zoom Meeting links. It automatically alerts the account owner by email on detecting a meeting that appears to be at high risk of being disrupted. Meeting hosts will also receive advice on steps that could include deleting the vulnerable meeting and creating a new one with a fresh meeting ID, enabling enhanced security settings, and using solutions like Zoom Video Webinars or OnZoom.- Advertisement – Zoom has added new security features to help prevent disruptions during virtual meetings and allow users to remove and report disruptive participants. The video conferencing app is also bringing a tool called At-Risk Meeting Notifier that helps alert hosts about the meetings that are at high risk of being disrupted and getting trolled by some individuals. Zoom meetings are still quite popular as people continue to work from home due to the pandemic. However, online disruptors and trolls are actively impacting virtual conversations and causing what is commonly known as Zoombombing.One of the latest security enhancements implemented by Zoom is the ability to let hosts and co-hosts temporarily pause their meeting and remove a disruptive participant. All you need to do is click on the Security icon and then select Suspend Participant Activities. This will stop all video, audio, in-meeting chat, annotation, screen sharing, and recording. It will also end Breakout Rooms.- Advertisement – Zoom already has over 300 million users, with a large number of people using it as their daily communication tool. This makes it necessary for the platform to help eradicate Zoombombing and allow users to safely communicate with their peers.Apart from limiting trolls, Zoom is also busy uplifting security by rolling out end-to-end encryption and working with regulators on addressing user privacy concerns.How are we staying sane during this Coronavirus lockdown? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below. Zoom will also ask the host or co-host if they want to report a user from their meeting and share their details. This will remove the reported user from the ongoing meeting and will notify Zoom’s Trust and Safety team.“Hosts and co-hosts may resume their meeting by individually re-enabling the features they’d like to use. Zoom will also send them an email after the meeting to gather more information,” the company said in a blog post.Zoom has by default enabled the Suspend Participant Activities feature for both free and paid users.- Advertisement – – Advertisement –
Arsenal eyeing up move for German goalkeeper Markus Schubert to replace the retiring Petr Cech Phil HaighTuesday 21 May 2019 10:55 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link Markus Schubert has been linked with a switch to Arsenal (Picture: Getty Images)Arsenal are in the hunt for a new back-up goalkeeper and have identified German stopper Markus Schubert as a possibly replacement for the retiring Petr Cech.37-year-old Cech is calling time on his career after the Europa League final against Chelsea next week, leaving Gunners boss Unai Emery needing a new alternative to Bernd Leno in goal.According to Bild, Schubert could be that man, with the 20-year-old available on a free transfer as his contract at Dynamo Dresden comes to an end this summer.The Germany under-21 international made 31 appearances for Dresden in the 2. Bundesliga this season, but informed the club in April that he intends to leave when his contract expires in June.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTHaving become the youngest goalkeeper in the club’s history when he made his debut as a 17-year-old in 2015, Dynamo Dresden sporting director Ralf Minge is disappointed to see the keeper leave.‘Unfortunately, we have not been able to persuade this talented goalkeeper and his advisers over the past 12 months with our arguments to extend the expiring contract,’ said Minge.‘It feels like a defeat when you train as a club player for almost ten years and then lose him at the very beginning of his professional career.’More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CitySchubert, who is reported at standing 6ft 1in, has appeared for Germany at all youth levels from under-17 upwards, but has not won a full international cap yet.Bild also report that another Arsenal keeper, Dejan Iliev, is set to leave as well, so Schubert could be targeted along with another stopper to fill both voids at the Emirates.The keeper has remained coy on his future, simply replying with ‘no comment’ when asked about his next move.MORE: Matthijs de Ligt hints he would favour Barcelona move ahead of Manchester UnitedMORE: Juventus contact Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri over replacing Max Allegri as manager Comment Advertisement Advertisement
ELLSWORTH — An action-packed weekend of high school sports saw Hancock County’s four remaining volleyball teams eliminated from the playoffs, but five local soccer teams are still alive.The Ellsworth boys and Bucksport and George Stevens Academy girls advanced to Tuesday’s quarterfinals with wins in their respective preliminary games over the weekend. Those three will be joined there by the Bucksport and GSA boys, which received byes after finishing among the top-six teams in Class C North.Senior Jack Lee led the Ellsworth boys’ team (6-7-2) to victory by scoring all three goals in the No. 7 Eagles’ shutout win Saturday over No. 10 Old Town (4-10-1) in the Class B North prelims. Ellsworth’s No. 7 volleyball team (7-8) was beaten 3-0 in its road contest against second-seeded Yarmouth (14-1) in the Class B quarterfinals later that day.Bucksport’s volleyball team (7-8) fell to Woodland (14-1) 3-0 in the Class C quarterfinals at the University of Maine at Machias, but the school’s eighth-seeded girls’ soccer team won its prelim showdown with No. 9 Calais (7-6-2) 2-1 Friday. The Golden Bucks (7-6-2) will play their quarterfinal match on the road against prolific scorer Kolleen Bouchard and the top-seeded Houlton Shiretowners (13-1) on Tuesday, Oct. 24.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textAll three Mount Desert Island teams in action were eliminated with losses Saturday afternoon. MDI’s boys’ and girls’ soccer teams lost prelim games by scores of 7-1 and 7-0 on the road against Winslow and John Bapst, respectively, and the school’s fourth-seeded volleyball team (9-6) fell to a 3-0 defeat at home against Greely (8-7) in the Class B quarterfinals.In volleyball, the No. 8 Sumner Tigers (3-12) marked their first playoff appearance with a 3-0 defeat against top-seeded Washington Academy (10-5) at UMaine-Machias. The ninth-seeded Sumner boys’ soccer team (9-5-1) saw an excellent season come to an end Saturday with a 2-0 road loss against No. 8 Piscataquis (8-6-1) in Guilford.In other Class C soccer action, the third-seeded George Stevens Academy (9-1-4) and sixth-seeded Bucksport (7-7) boys will face one another in the quarterfinals Wednesday, Oct. 25, in Blue Hill. GSA’s 10th-seeded girls’ team (4-8-3) recorded an upset over No. 7 Narraguagus (8-3-2) when it topped the Knights 5-2 in the prelims Friday in Harrington.Below are times and dates for soccer quarterfinal games to be played Tuesday and Wednesday. A list of semifinal soccer and quarterfinal football games will be posted Thursday, Oct. 26. Road teams are listed first.Tuesday, Oct. 24Boys’ soccer playoffs, Class B North: (7) Ellsworth vs. (2) Washington Academy, 5 p.m.Girls’ soccer playoffs, Class C North: (8) Bucksport vs. (1) Houlton, 4 p.m.Girls’ soccer playoffs, Class C North: (10) George Stevens Academy vs. (2) Dexter, 2 p.m.Wednesday, Oct. 25Boys’ soccer playoffs, Class C North: (6) Bucksport vs. (3) GSA, 2:30 p.m. Hospice volunteers help families navigate grief and find hope – September 12, 2020 Latest posts by Mike Mandell (see all) Mike MandellMike Mandell is the sports editor at The Ellsworth American and Mount Desert Islander. He began working for The American in August 2016. You can reach him via email at [email protected] Bio Latest Posts Ellsworth runners compete in virtual Boston Marathon – September 16, 2020 MPA approves golf, XC, field hockey, soccer; football, volleyball moved to spring – September 10, 2020
ENGLAND 1st innings (o/n 233-5)A. Cook lbw b Hazlewood 39M. Stoneman c †Paine b Cummins 24J. Vince c Paine b Cummins 25J. Root (c) c MR Marsh b Starc 83D. Malan c Smith b Starc 62J. Bairstow c Paine b Hazlewood 5M. Ali c Paine b Cummins 30T. Curran c Bancroft b Cummins 39S. Broad c Smith b Lyon 31M. Crane run-out 4J. Anderson not out 0Extras: (lb-2, w-2) 4Total: (all out, 112.3 overs) 346Fall of wickets: 1-28, 2-88, 3-95, 4-228, 5-233, 6-251, 7-294, 8-335, 9-346.Bowling: M. Starc 21-6-80-2, J. Hazlewood 23-4-65-2, J. Cummins 24.3-5-80-4, N. Lyon 37-5-86-1, M. Marsh 7-0-33-0 .AUSTRALIA 1st inningsC. Bancroft b Broad 0D. Warner c Bairstow b Anderson 56U. Khawaja not out 91S. Smith (c) not out 44Extras: (b-1, nb-1) 2Total: (67 overs) 193Fall of wickets: 1-1, 2-86Bowling: J. Anderson 14-4-25-1, S. Broad 10-2-28-1, M. Ali 17-3-51-0, T. Curran 8-2-26-0, M. Crane 17-0-58-0, J. Root 1-0-4-0. By Nick MulvenneySYDNEY, Australia (Reuters) – Australia captain Steve Smith continued to be England’s Ashes nemesis yesterday as he passed 6 000 Test runs in an unbeaten knock of 44 to help his team to 193 for two at close of play on the second day of the fifth Test.The world’s top-ranked batsman and Usman Khawaja batted through the final session in a 107-run partnership after openers Cameron Bancroft and David Warner had departed earlier in Australia’s reply to England’s 346.Khawaja notched a stylish 91 not out on the same ground where he made his Test debut in the corresponding fixture seven years ago but it was the wicket of Smith that England most desperately wanted.They were to be disappointed with only a couple of half chances presenting themselves as Smith sent a couple of early edges fizzing through the slips.The 28-year-old was soon looking comfortable and nonchalantly swatted a single to backward square to pass the 6 000 career runs mark in his 111th Test innings. Only the great Donald Bradman reached the milestone in fewer knocks.Having started the day with a brilliant diving catch in the slips to dismiss Dawid Malan, Smith walked off his home ground in the brilliant afternoon sunshine with 648 runs to his name in the series so far.“We’re stoked that he’s on our team so we don’t have to bowl at him,” Australia fast bowler Pat Cummins said of his captain.“You lose a couple of wickets and he comes out to bat. He’s just incredible; I think he’s been the real difference between the two sides.”The tourists, 3-0 down in the series with the urn already relinquished, earlier posted a competitive tally in the face of some fearsome pace bowling on the back of a hard wagging tail and some poor Australian catching.PACKED HOUSE Australia came out after lunch to begin their innings in front of another packed house only for Stuart Broad to clean bowl Bancroft for a duck in the second over.Warner scored a measured 56 by his standards in a 85-run stand with Khawaja before he was caught behind when James Anderson got the ball to move away from him.Broad’s 31 had earlier been integral to a bright morning for the tourists after the hammer blow of losing two wickets in the last couple of overs of day one.Malan (62) lasted less than half an hour after they had resumed on 233 for five, Mitchell Starc eliciting an outside edge which Smith caught brilliantly to make some amends for three spills in his otherwise impeccable series.His fast bowlers then proceeded to produce a couple of howlers with Cummins dropping Tom Curran on 21 off Nathan Lyon and, in the next over, Josh Hazlewood letting Moeen Ali off the hook with the all-rounder on 22.England’s tail made the most of the reprieves with Curran hitting a confident 39 and Moeen 30 before both fell victim to the pace of Cummins (4-80).Broad braved the short bowling almost until the scheduled lunch break before becoming spinner Lyon’s first victim of the match and the innings ended in a mix-up that resulted in Mason Crane being run-out for four in his maiden Test innings.The leg-spinner later made a reasonably solid start to his Test career with the ball, returning figures of 0-58.“It’s awesome to be bowling to the best players in the world,” the 20-year-old said.“(Smith)’s a key player for them, if we can get him and two or three others, hopefully we can get a first-innings lead.”