Update on the latest sports

first_img— The president of the Spanish soccer league says its schedule could restart as early as June 11 with the Seville derby (DAHR’-bee) between Sevilla and Real Betis. The announcement comes a day after Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said that the league would be allowed to resume from June 8 provided the country continued to keep the coronavirus outbreak in check.— A Bournemouth soccer club player is one of two positive tests for COVID-19 to emerge from the Premier League’s second round of testing. The club says “medical confidentiality means the player’s name will not be disclosed.” The team says the player will self-isolate for seven days before being tested again at a later date. The league tested 996 players and club staff on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.— English soccer’s Hull has announced it is the League Championship club with two personnel who have tested positive for COVID-19. A total of 1,014 players and staff from all 24 clubs in England’s second tier were tested for the coronavirus over the last 72 hours. The results reflect an almost identical ratio of positive results to that found in the Premier League’s second wave of testing. It had been announced that the two individuals were from the same club, without naming Hull.— BATE Borisov has won the Belarusian Cup with thousands of fans watching in a rare case of a soccer trophy being decided during the coronavirus pandemic. The Belarus soccer federation said that 5,761 tickets were sold for the game. That was only a fraction of the stadium’s capacity so that fans would be spaced around the arena. Many supporters ignored the seating arrangements to sit in groups and most did not wear masks. BATE beat Dynamo Brest 1-0.— The coach of one of Florida’s top high school football programs has been suspended, and an investigation has been launched into whether the team that has won state championships in each of the past three seasons broke policies by practicing during the pandemic. Miami Northwestern High coach Max Edwards has been suspended, pending the result of the investigation, according to a school district official who spoke to The Miami Herald. The district says football practice at this time would be an “unauthorized athletic activity” and parents of players who may have taken part were being interviewed by school officials as part of the investigation. Update on the latest sports Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNASCAR-COCA-COLA 600Keselowski wins 600 to extend Johnson’s losing streakCONCORD, N.C. (AP) — Brad Keselowski extended Jimmie Johnson’s losing streak to 102 races, holding off the seven-time NASCAR champion in overtime early today in the Coca-Cola 600. Keselowski started in the back of the field, worked his way to the front at Charlotte Motor Speedway and gambled in not pitting when caution stopped Chase Elliott from winning with two laps remaining.Elliott pitted and Keselowski led a train of eight cars that stayed on the track. He lined up in front of Alex Bowman on the inside line with Johnson on the bottom ahead of Keselowski teammate Ryan Blaney.Keselowski got the push to get into clean air and denied Johnson a victory.GOLF-CHARITY MATCHWoods-Manning edge Mickelson-Brady UNDATED (AP) — Tiger Woods and Peyton Manning were the winners at Medalist Golf Club in Florida, as were the benefactors of “The Match: Champions for Charity.”Woods and Manning took the lead on the third hole and never trailed, once building a 3-up lead in fourballs on the front nine. Manning making two birdies before the turn, although one was a net par.Woods lagged a long birdie putt on 18 that was close enough that Manning didn’t have to putt. That secured a 1-up victory over Mickelson and Brady.Brady took plenty of teasing from TV analysts Charles Barkley and Justin Thomas. Brooks Koepka (KOEHP’-kuh) offered $100,000 to the cause if Brady could just make a par. Brady quieted his critics on the par-5 seventh as his fourth shot landed beyond the pin and spun back into the cup.The goal was to raise $10 million or more for COVID-19 relief funds, and online donations sent money climbing toward about twice that much.center_img — Youth sports organizations across the United States have come together to form the PLAY Sports Coalition to push for federal help with the coronavirus crisis. The leaders of the coalition are trumpeting the importance of youth sports and sounding the alarm about the future of their organizations. The fate of providers in low-income communities is of particular concern. Nearly 60% of local sports leaders expect to lose at least 50% of their revenue over the next year, according to an Aspen Institute for Sports poll.— Formula One driver George Russell has won the virtual Monaco Grand Prix on the day the iconic race would have been held if not for the pandemic. Russell finished 39 seconds ahead of former F1 driver Esteban Gutiérrez of Mexico. Formula One’s first 10 races have been either postponed or canceled.COLLEGE BASKETBALL-OBIT-EDDIE SUTTONEddie Sutton, Hall of Fame basketball coach, dies at 84UNDATED (AP) — Hall of Fame basketball coach Eddie Sutton has died of natural causes at 84. That word from Sutton’s family. May 25, 2020 Sutton led Kentucky, Arkansas and Oklahoma State to the Final Four and was the first coach to take four schools to the NCAA tournament. He was 806-328 in 37 seasons as a Division I head coach, not counting vacated victories or forfeited games.Sutton won two SEC titles with Kentucky but had to resign in 1989 after the NCAA announced 18 allegations against the program. Elected to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on April 3, Sutton fell short as a finalist six times before finally being selected. He had said he believed that the scandal that ended his stint at Kentucky was likely the culprit for his lengthy wait.He was Associated Press Coach of the Year in 1978 at Arkansas and in 1986 at Kentucky.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 SPORTS-PANDEMICCuomo welcoming back pro sports teamsUNDATED (AP) — New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says teams in his state can return to their facilities for training after a pause of more than two months. The New York City area was one of the hardest-hit parts of the U.S. by the coronavirus pandemic, but COVID-19 deaths and new infections in the state have been trending downward. Major League Baseball, the NBA and the NHL are discussing the resumption of their seasons with their players’ unions.In other developments related to the coronavirus pandemic:— Japan’s professional baseball season will open on June 19 under a plan that excludes fans. The season was to have begun on March 20 but the start was postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic. Japan joins South Korea and Taiwan in Asia whose leagues are open and playing largely without fans. Japan has reported about 850 deaths from COVID-19. last_img read more

Suspended NASCAR driver Kyle Larson will make his return to racing in World of Outlaws

first_imgLarson, who also was suspended indefinitely by iRacing for his use of the racial slur, apologized for his use of the word in a video he tweeted the next day.”Kyle is an important and visible stakeholder in the World of Outlaws community as both a driver and team owner,” the World of Outlaws said in a statement on April 14. “Kyle has admitted to making a mistake and it is our expectation that he will make every effort to represent the sport in a professional manner moving forward. Provided that Kyle completes the designated training in the allotted time, he will remain eligible to compete in all World of Outlaws sanctioned events.”The virtual race in which Larson uttered the N-word was not an official NASCAR iRacing event, which have been replacing the live NASCAR Cup Series races that have been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic. MORE: Bubba Wallace responds to Larson’s use of racial slurLarson remains indefinitely suspended by NASCAR, but a World of Outlaws spokesman told NBC Sports that Larson had completed the sensitivity training required for his return to dirt racing.As for Larson’s return to stock car racing, NASCAR told Racer Magazine’s Kelly Crandall it “will not have anything to communicate until we announce his reinstatement at a later date.”Friday night’s sprint car race will broadcast live on DIRTVision, but spectators will not be allowed at Knoxville Raceway.  Almost a month after Kyle Larson’s use of the N-word during an iRacing event cost him his NASCAR Cup Series ride with Chip Ganassi Racing and his primary sponsors, ​the 27-year-old driver will return to racing Friday.According to NBC Sports, Larson will race the No. 57 sprint car he owns when the World of Outlaws NOS Energy Drink Sprint Car Series returns May 8 at Knoxville Raceway in Knoxville, Iowa. Retired NASCAR driver Kasey Kahne will also race at Knoxville for the sprint car team he owns.last_img read more