One more avian flu fatality in Vietnam, Mongolia reports bird deaths

first_imgAug 9, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – Reports from Vietnam say a 35-year-old man who died Jul 31 had H5N1 avian influenza, although official confirmation from the Ministry of Health is still to come.Pham Van Lu, of the Ben Tre province in the Mekong Delta, is reported to have slaughtered and eaten two chickens with H5N1 and to have fallen ill with a high fever thereafter, according to a story in Thanh Nien News. Verification of his case as H5N1 came from the Pasteur Institute in Ho Chi Ming City, the story says. This represents the first human case in Ben Tre.In other developments, the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) received a report yesterday from Mongolia of dead migratory birds. The report came from Dr. Ravdan Sanjaatogtokh, Director of the State Veterinary Services. The birds affected were migratory ducks, geese, and swans in the Erhel Lake area in the Kovsgol province near the Russian border.The OIE report puts the number of dead birds at 80 and says they died of an A-type influenza, with subtyping in progress. An Agence France-Presse (AFP) today says 86 birds are dead at Erhel Lake and more wild birds have died at Khunt Lake in central Mongolia and in the south Gobi Desert. More than 100 people living near Erhel Lake have been quarantined, and tourists have been asked to stay away.Meanwhile, the European Union has banned imports of live birds and feathers from Russia and Kazakhstan, both of which have had avian flu outbreaks in domestic poultry recently. Eggs and poultry meat have also been banned, although the two affected countries do not export these to the EU, Reuters reported.The avian flu circulating in Khasakhstan has been confirmed as H5N1, but whether the infection in the Novosibirsk, Altai, and Omsk regions of Siberia has been confirmed as H5N1 remains unclear from reports.Russia’s chief epidemiologist, Gennady Onishchenko, seems convinced it is. He is quoted in a second AFP story today as saying, “There is every reason to believe that . . . the H5N1 strain of bird flu has been transferred by wild birds from Southeast Asia. . . . The sub-type circulating among animals can reasonably be expected to cause sickness among humans.” He also said avian flu was carried by wild fowl in the previously unreported regions of Tyumen and Kurgan, although he did not specify the viral subtype there.See also:CIDRAP case count table for human cases of H5N1last_img read more

Newcastle takeover excites Ameobi

first_imgRelatedPosts EPL: Newcastle set to extend winning streak Saudi may have enough uranium deposits to make nuclear fuel – Reports Saudi Arabia sets date to lift some international flight restrictions Newcastle United loans chief Shola Ameobi has said that there’s a lot of excitement inside the club amid takeover talk.While communication from the top of the club has been limited, he admits he and other staff at the club are getting excited by talk of the £300 million takeover getting closer. It was reported that the Saudi Arabia-backed deal was close and could be complete within the next seven days.“We’re excited about all the noises that we’re hearing,” Ameobi said on Sky Sports’ The Football Show.“But at the moment Im at home with the kids, homeschooling the kids, and just trying to stay safe.”When asked about what he’d heard from inside the club, Ameobi, who played for the first team for 14 years until 2014, admitted information had been thin on the ground.“I think the one thing over the last six weeks while we’ve been on furlough, there’s not really been any communication, we’re not allowed to do our day to day job, so communication hasn’t been there,” he said. “Lee Charnley has sent a couple of emails over this time to reassure us about what steps they’re trying to take but like you can imagine everything is silent.“Mike likes to do things discreetly and in his own way, and as employees we don’t get to know any of that, so we’re the same as you guys, just waiting and seeing what comes.”Tags: Newcastle UnitedSaudi ArabiaShola Ameobilast_img read more

Cricket News Chris Gayle beats Brian Lara’s historic record in special 300th ODI

first_imghighlights New Delhi : The Port of Spain ODI between West Indies and India was historic for Chris Gayle. The self-proclaimed Universe Boss, who missed the Twenty20 International series, struggled in the first ODI when he managed just four runs off 31 balls. However, in the second ODI, Gayle created two historic records. The match against India was his 300th for the West Indies, making him the first player from the Caribbean to achieve this feat. However, in their chase of 280, Gayle created history when he became the leading run-getter for West Indies in ODIs, breaking the record set by Brian Lara and has been in place since his retirement in the 2007 World Cup. In one over bowled by Khaleel Ahmed, Gayle sent the Queens Park Oval crowd to raptures.In the first ball of the ninth over, Gayle steered a short and wide ball to third man to break Lara’s tally of 10348 runs for West Indies. The left-hander realised the magnitude of the feat and raised his bat to the entire Queens Park Oval as the crowd acknowledged the historic achievement. Lara had scored 57 runs for the ICC World XI while Gayle had 55 runs for the World XI during their respective playing careers. Gayle still had to overtake Lara’s tally of 10405 runs and he achieved it duly in the same over when he cracked Khaleel for a cut shot over cover point to break Lara’s overall tally of 10405 runs. However, Gayle could not carry on after he had crossed the record and was trapped plumb in front for 11 by Bhuvneshwar Kumar and even the review could not save him. Gayle was widely expected to retire from international cricket at the end of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 but reversed his decision and made himself available for the three-match series against India. However, his return has not forced the selectors to consider him for the upcoming two-Test series which begins on August 22.Gayle has not played a Test since 2014 and it could be a sad end on August 14 when he could potentially play his final international match in the Caribbean at the same venue. However, Port of Spain witnessed a new world record as Brian Lara finally came second-best to Gayle. The Universe Boss would be hoping to create more records in Twenty20 Internationals and in various T20 leagues all over the world as his career comes to an end.  For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.center_img Chris Gayle became the leading run-getter for Windies in ODIs.Chris Gayle is the leading run-getter in ODIs overall for Windies.Chris Gayle became the first Windies player to play 300 ODIs.last_img read more