By Simon EvansLISBON (Reuters) – The lingering impact of the COVID-19 pandemic could lead to some UEFA Nations League matches being held at neutral grounds, with any decisions on venue switches likely to come before the Champions League final on Aug. 23, sources have told Reuters.The opening two rounds of Nations League games are scheduled for Sept. 3-8 during the international break with all of the continent’s national teams in action.UEFA would normally hold meetings around the finals of the Champions League and Europa League and a conference call could take place within the next 10 days.With the health situation variable across the continent and restrictions changing, UEFA will be keen to avoid any circumstances where games are cancelled at the last minute. “Close cooperation between all teams and UEFA will be needed to ensure the regular staging of all matches. The possibility of playing international matches at neutral venues cannot be discounted at this stage,” UEFA said last week.On Thursday, UEFA cancelled its women’s Under-17 tournament and postponed the men’s Under-19 competition as well as a number of other youth national team matches.Currently, UEFA is insisting that all games in its competitions be played behind closed doors but there is pressure from some countries where the health situation has improved significantly to allow some supporters into matches. Hungary and Poland are among those countries who have allowed fans into stadiums for some games while small numbers have also attended matches in Switzerland and France.The already complex situation of needing to finish the delayed 2019-20 Champions League and Europa League season, with mini-tournaments in Lisbon and Germany, is compounded by the start of qualification for next season’s campaigns.A reminder of the problems that can still affect fixtures came this week with Kosovar champions KF Drita forced to forfeit their Champions League preliminary round tie with Northern Irish club Linfield after two players tested positive for COVID-19. The opening two rounds of Nations League games are scheduled for Sept. 3-8 during the international break with all of the continent’s national teams in action.UEFA would normally hold meetings around the finals of the Champions League and Europa League and a conference call could take place within the next 10 days.With the health situation variable across the continent and restrictions changing, UEFA will be keen to avoid any circumstances where games are cancelled at the last minute. “Close cooperation between all teams and UEFA will be needed to ensure the regular staging of all matches. The possibility of playing international matches at neutral venues cannot be discounted at this stage,” UEFA said last week.On Thursday, UEFA cancelled its women’s Under-17 tournament and postponed the men’s Under-19 competition as well as a number of other youth national team matches.Currently, UEFA is insisting that all games in its competitions be played behind closed doors but there is pressure from some countries where the health situation has improved significantly to allow some supporters into matches. Hungary and Poland are among those countries who have allowed fans into stadiums for some games while small numbers have also attended matches in Switzerland and France.The already complex situation of needing to finish the delayed 2019-20 Champions League and Europa League season, with mini-tournaments in Lisbon and Germany, is compounded by the start of qualification for next season’s campaigns.A reminder of the problems that can still affect fixtures came this week with Kosovar champions KF Drita forced to forfeit their Champions League preliminary round tie with Northern Irish club Linfield after two players tested positive for COVID-19.
An hour before Syracuse faced off against Hofstra, a large contingent of SU players gathered in a tunnel adjacent to the Carrier Dome field and watched a scrimmage between Hofstra and Le Moyne.The SU players weren’t just scouting the two teams they would face later in the day; they were eager to take the field themselves. Eager to begin the process of erasing memories of last season’s heart-breaking national title game loss to Duke.On Saturday — almost eight months to the day since the title game – the Orange began its rehabilitation process with scrimmage wins over Hofstra and Le Moyne. Despite struggling mightily at the faceoff X — which SU did so famously against Duke last May — the Orange defeated Hofstra 12-8 and Le Moyne 15-4.“We spent more time on faceoffs this fall and spring than ever before,” Syracuse head coach John Desko said. “I wish we would have done a little better versus Hofstra … It was good to see us improve and get better against Le Moyne.”The Orange lost a staggering 27-of-46 total draws, allowing two inferior teams to remain in striking distance.Desko said the Orange has seven players who work on faceoffs at practice. On Saturday, the team used five.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textChris Daddio won 10 of the 19 draws he took on the day, but won only 3-of-8 against Hofstra. Mike Iacono won 2-of-11 against Hofstra and 2-of-6 against Le Moyne.Daddio struggled to begin the Hofstra game before giving way to Iacono with SU ahead 4-2. But the junior transfer from Nassau Community College didn’t fare much better.Daddio credited the slow start to his mentality going into the game. Iacono said it might have been first-game jitters. Desko credited Hofstra freshman Kris Clark, who won 14 of the 19 draws he took.“We knew about him coming off of Long Island as a high school player,” Desko said. “ … Some of it, too, we changed our guys up when we were losing a few, and it’s hard to get into a rhythm when we change our people.”Against Hofstra, the Orange lost 17-of-23 draws.But despite not having the ball to begin possessions, Syracuse was able to capitalize when it did. Kevin Rice recorded five points — one goal and four assists — while Dylan Donahue put up four goals and assisted on Scott Loy’s first-quarter goal.Four different players scored for the Orange in the second half: Billy Ward, Hakeem Lecky, Donahue and Tom Grimm. The team thwarted any chance of a comeback upset.Against Le Moyne, Syracuse fared much better at the X. The Orange won 13-of-23 draws and cruised to an easier victory against its cross-town rival.Iacono began the game at the X, and was better than he was against Hofstra.“My wing help was tremendous,” he said. “They held down for me. I’m completely confident in my wings. Today was the beginning point to working toward the whole season.”Winning more faceoffs resulted in more goals. The Orange won 5-of-7 draws in the first quarter and took a 5-1 lead.In the second half, the Orange won 5-of-8 and allowed just one goal while scoring five.Despite the two victories, the faceoff X will continue to be a topic of discussion for Syracuse as it prepares for its regular-season opener against Siena on Feb. 10.Said Daddio: “We’ve been working a lot this season already, and I think we’ll be fine. We picked it up in the second game and toward the end of the first game, but we can’t start slow like we did. We’ve just got to get into a rhythm.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on January 25, 2014 at 3:19 pm Contact Trevor: [email protected] | @TrevorHass
MASON CITY — It’s 25 years in prison for a Mason City man who sexually abused an eight-year-old girl numerous times.61-year-old Russell Leverne was charged with three counts of second-degree sexual abuse after Mason City police say he committed sexual acts with the child on multiple occasions between June and July of last year at his apartment in the 1000 block of South Illinois Avenue.As part of a plea agreement with prosecutors, Leverne pleaded guilty to two of the three second-degree sexual abuse counts, with the other charge being dismissed.Leverne this week was sentenced by District Judge Colleen Weiland to 25 years in prison on each count, with the sentences to be served concurrently.Leverne must also register as a sex offender for the rest of his life and pay $500 worth of civil penalties.
I fully understand that in a lost season — like the one the 49ers are currently playing — nothing seems to matter but draft pick position.One win, two wins, six wins — who cares?There’s no obvious added value to being mediocre with your backup quarterback at the helm, so a team might as well go all the way in on securing the No. 1 overall pick in April’s draft, right?If that is indeed the prudent decision, the 49ers turned in an outstanding performance Sunday in Arizona. Going up against the …
SAN JOSE — Ken Campbell of the Hockey News gave it life and Pete DeBoer made sure it got one more spin through the rinse cycle. But Sharks fans are hoping that Erik Karlsson’s return signals the last “time is nigh” reference of the season.Karlsson will suit up for his first game since Feb. 26 when the Sharks close out the regular season with a bout against the Colorado Avalanche at SAP Center on Saturday. DeBoer announced Karlsson’s return by using the phrase that Campbell made indelible when …
The participants of the New South Wales Touch Association (NSWTA) Women’s Coaching Forum received a real treat on Saturday, with New South Wales Swifts ANZ Championships Netball coach, Lisa Beehag, teaching the participants about her experiences in coaching. Beehag presented to the forum about ‘managing people and personalities’ and spoke about her coaching philosophies with the group. Beehag says that it was a great opportunity to speak to some of New South Wales’ best up-and-coming female coaches and teach them a bit about what she has learnt along the way in her coaching career. “I’ve always been pretty lucky in that I’ve had a number of these opportunities to be the person sitting here and listening to some great coaches over the years,” Beehag said. “It’s nice to be able to give something back and to do it at a different sport is really good because you hear the different ideas and I think it also tells people that they are not alone. A lot of the things that are happening in Touch are the same things that are happening in Netball, are the same things that are happening in Football, it doesn’t change that much, so there are a lot of people that you can help.”The Women’s Coaching Forum is in its second year, having been aligned with the conference for the first time in 2011, and Beehag says that she thinks it’s a fantastic concept.“We do things differently, we are different to the men and I think it’s important that we acknowledge that and that the way we go about things may be different and we all get the same result so being able to just get some more ideas from each other is really important.”Beehag has played Touch Football in the past, having played with NSWTA General Manager, Dean Russell and NSWTA and Touch Football Australia Hall of Fame member, Stacey Black (Gregory) over the years. “It was very much a summer thing for me because of Netball in winter. It was great, it was more fun than anything else. I played with Stacey Gregory for many years and obviously she’s done pretty well in Touch so we played Netball together and a lot a Mixed Touch.”Related LinksWomen’s Coaching Forum
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Porto midfielder Hector Herrera on Arsenal, Wolves radarby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the lovePorto midfielder Hector Herrera is on Arsenal’s radar this month.TMW says Arsenal are planning a move for Porto ace Herrera.Gunners boss Unai Emery is looking at the midfielder as he seeks to strenghten his option.But he’s not alone. Roma, Atletico Madrid, Sevilla and Wolves have also been linked.Herrera enjoyed an outstanding World Cup with Mexico and was linked with Real Madrid last summer.
22Jan Rep. Eisen named Vice Chair of Transportation Committee in Michigan House Lawmaker will serve on three other committeesState Rep. Gary Eisen was recently appointed as Vice Chair of the Michigan House Transportation Committee for the 2019-20 legislative session, an important position to help improve the conditions of Michigan roads and bridges.Committee assignments were announced by Speaker Lee Chatfield.“As Transportation Vice Chair I will work with my House colleagues to prioritize roads and ensure families can travel safely across the state,” Eisen said. “We must work together to ensure road projects are done on time and on budget, so our investments are of the best possible value to Michigan residents.”Eisen also will also serve as a member of the Agriculture, Local Government and Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Committees.Eisen represents the residents of the 81st District, which includes the communities of Lynn, Berlin, Emmett, Brockway, Greenwood, Gant, Clay, Clyde, Port Huron, St. Clair, East China, China, Cottreville and Mussey Townships, as well the cities of Yale, St. Clair, Marine, Marysville and Algonac in St. Clair County.### Categories: Eisen News,News
Citation: Backpage.com, CEO plead guilty to state, US charges (2018, April 13) retrieved 18 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-04-backpagecom-ceo-guilty-state.html Feds seize Backpage.com, websites in enforcement action In this Jan. 10, 2017 file photo Backpage.com CEO Carl Ferrer appears before the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Permanent subcommittee on Investigations looking into Backpage.com. Ferrer will serve no more than five years in state prison under a plea agreement announced Thursday, April 12, 2018. (AP Photo/Cliff Owen, file) In this Jan. 10, 2017 file photo, Backpage.com CEO Carl Ferrer leaves the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs subcommittee hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington. Ferrer will serve no more than five years in state prison under a plea agreement announced Thursday, April 12, 2018. (AP Photo/Cliff Owen, file) Federal prosecutors say that Backpage brought in a half-billion dollars since it began in 2004, mostly through prominent risque advertising for escorts and massages, among other services and some goods for sale. Authorities allege the site was often used to traffic underage victims, while company officials said they tried to scrub the website of such ads.Chief Executive Officer Carl Ferrer will serve no more than five years in prison under a California agreement in which he pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy and three counts of money laundering in California. Also Thursday, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton announced the company pleaded guilty to human trafficking.And a federal judge in Phoenix unsealed an April 5 plea deal revealing that Ferrer pleaded guilty to conspiracy, and Backpage.com pleaded guilty to money laundering conspiracy.”For far too long, Backpage.com existed as the dominant marketplace for illicit commercial sex, a place where sex traffickers frequently advertised children and adults alike,” U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in a statement. “But this illegality stops right now.”Under his plea agreement, Ferrer agreed to make the company’s data available to law enforcement as investigations and prosecutions continue. The guilty pleas are the latest in a cascade of developments in the last week against the company founded by the former owners of the Village Voice in New York City, Michael Lacey, 69, and James Larkin, 68.The company founders were among Backpage officials indicted by a federal grand jury in Arizona. Attorneys for the company and Lacey, Larkin and Ferrer did not respond to multiple telephone and email messages from The Associated Press.The U.S. Justice Department also seized and shut down the website, and Ferrer’s federal plea deal requires him to help the government seize all the company’s assets.Ferrer could face up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine in the federal case in Arizona, while Backpage.com could face a maximum fine of $500,000 for its money laundering conspiracy plea in the Arizona case. The chief executive of a website that authorities have dubbed a lucrative nationwide “online brothel” pleaded guilty Thursday to state and federal charges including conspiracy and money laundering, and agreed to testify in ongoing prosecutions against others at Backpage.com, authorities said. Explore further The federal plea deal says any prison sentence Ferrer would face would run concurrent with his 5-year terms in Texas and California. “Human trafficking is modern-day slavery, and it is happening in our own backyard,” California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said in a statement announcing the plea deal. He called Ferrer’s plea “a game-changer in combatting human trafficking in California, indeed worldwide.”Larkin and Lacey remain jailed in Arizona while awaiting hearings on whether they should be released after pleading not guilty to federal charges alleging they helped publish ads for sexual services.Five employees of the site also were arrested and pleaded not guilty, but Lacey and Larkin are the only ones in jail.Lacey and Larkin also earlier pleaded not guilty in California after Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Larry Brown last year allowed the state to continue with money laundering charges. The state attorney general’s office, which is prosecuting the case, alleges that Backpage’s operators illegally funneled nearly $45 million through multiple companies and created websites to get around banks that refused to process their transactions.But Brown threw out pimping conspiracy and other state charges against Backpage’s operators. Brown ruled that the charges are barred by a federal law protecting free speech that grants immunity to websites posting content from others.President Donald Trump this week signed a law making it easier to prosecute website operators in the future.Texas state agents raided the Dallas headquarters of Backpage and arrested Ferrer on a California warrant after he arrived at Houston’s Bush Intercontinental Airport on a flight from Amsterdam on Oct. 6, 2016. The Dutch-owned company is incorporated in Delaware, but its principal place of business is in Dallas.Paxon called Thursday’s pleas “a significant victory in the fight against human trafficking in Texas and around the world.” © 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.