For kitchen-less Hong Kongers, new ban on restaurant dining is a bitter pill

Simon Wong, president of the Hong Kong Federation of Restaurants, said the sector would lose HK$5 billion ($645 million) in revenue in July if the government were to shut down dine-in services for the month.”Even if we take subsidies from the government relief measures, we may not be able to survive this wave,” he said.  A new Hong Kong ban on dining at restaurants and food stalls aimed at reining in a spike in coronavirus cases threatens to complicate life for the many people in the city who depend on eating out for daily meals.Hundreds of thousands of Hong Kongers live in subdivided tiny apartments, shared by multiple families and which often do not have kitchen facilities or even if they do, are too cramped to be used often.”Many people don’t cook or cannot cook. Lots of old people cannot cook. Most of my friends don’t have kitchens – they eat out for every meal,” said a car driver who gave his surname as Chong as he walked through the bustling Wan Chai district where food stalls line the streets. For the seven-day duration of the ban, people without a kitchen will have to make do with takeout or food purchased at supermarkets.The ban on restaurant dining is one of several new restrictions imposed to curb the virus – tightening a rule put in place earlier this month which forbade dining at restaurants after 6 p.m. Other restrictions announced on Monday include mandatory face masks in all public places and a ban on gatherings of more than two people.The former British colony has seen a spike in locally transmitted coronavirus cases over the past three weeks, with 145 cases reported on Monday, a daily record and the sixth consecutive day of triple digit infection figures. Since late January, more than 2,700 people have been infected in Hong Kong, 20 of whom have died.For the city’s beleaguered restaurant sector already grappling with exorbitant rents and lost business due to anti-government protests last year, the new ban only promises more pain. Topics : read more

The Latest: UEFA again postpones Euro 2020 playoffs

first_imgThe games were originally scheduled for March 26-31 and have now lost their June 4-9 dates.Europe’s priority will be completing club competitions if games resume in June. That will include national leagues and the Champions League and Europa League.UEFA says the next available Euro 2020 playoff dates are Sept. 3-8. The September dates had been allocated to start the next Nations League groups.The decision was made in a conference call with officials from the 55 UEFA member federations.The playoffs will decide the last four places in the 24-nation lineup for the postponed European Championship. ___A hockey team and a soccer club in Russia face being removed from their leagues after government financial support was diverted to fight the coronavirus.The sports ministry in the far eastern region of Primorsky Krai says it sees no point in funding player contracts for another season if it’s not clear when competitions will resume. It wants the Admiral Vladivostok hockey club to drop out of the Kontinental Hockey League and the Luch Vladivostok soccer team to drop down two divisions into the amateur leagues.The ministry says regional funding earmarked for professional sports will instead go into an anti-coronavirus fund.Many Russian sports team rely heavily on regional governments and state-owned companies for much of their funding. Primorsky Krai is the first region to impose such drastic cuts. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___UEFA has postponed the Euro 2020 playoffs for the second time because of the coronavirus pandemic. ___English soccer authorities say there are “no quick answers” to the question of when play can resume following the coronavirus outbreak.The Premier League, English Football League and Football Association say in a joint statement there will be play “only when it is safe to do so.”They say clubs and supporters have a role to play in the meantime “in supporting the government’s guidance and ensuring community strength and solidarity.”The most recent update from soccer authorities said there will be no play until April 30 at the earliest. April 1, 2020 Associated Press All major sporting events in Russia are currently suspended.___The Olympic flame will be on display until the end of April in Japan’s northeastern prefecture of Fukushima.Tokyo Olympic and prefecture officials held an official “handover ceremony”on Wednesday at the J-Village National Training Center in Fukushima.The public will have limited access to view the flame, and organizers hope to limit the crowd size because of restrictions in place for the coronavirus. The Latest: UEFA again postpones Euro 2020 playoffs The flame arrived in Japan from Greece on March 20 and the torch relay was to have started last week from Fukushima. The flame has remained in the prefecture with Wednesday’s event merely ceremonial.The Fukushima prefecture is the region of Japan that was devastated in 2011 by an earthquake, tsunami, and the subsequent meltdown of three nuclear reactors.Olympic officials have postponed the Tokyo Games until next year with the opening now set for July 23, 2021.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6last_img read more

Women’s basketball travels to Arizona for two-game trip

first_imgThe USC women’s basketball team is headed to the Grand Canyon State to face off against No. 19 Arizona State Friday and No. 16 Arizona Sunday. The Trojans are looking to avenge earlier losses to both rival Pac-12 South teams on the road after winning their last three games at home. On Sunday the Trojans will head to Tucson for their matchup with the Wildcats. Besides the offensive threat McDonald poses, USC will have to handle sophomore center Semaj Smith who posted a career-high 12 rebounds in Arizona’s last game against the Trojans. Rogers now joins forward Alissa Pili as the second USC player to receive the Pac-12 Freshman of the Week award for women’s basketball this year. Their home performances have cemented their leadership roles for the young team and show the level of competition they are capable of. Senior forward and captain Kayla Overbeck will look to lead her talented freshmen to two road wins. (James Wolfe | Daily Trojan) Since these two games in the middle of the Trojans’ early five-game losing streak, USC has turned around its defense and adjusted offensively. Against Washington State, USC never allowed a lead change and logged 44 rebounds. In last Sunday’s overtime win over Washington, the Trojans shot 43.3% from the field with freshman guard Endyia Rogers tallying a career-high 29 points. Look out for senior guard Robbi Ryan, who shot a career-high 25 points against Arizona and is now averaging 42% from the field. Pili and senior forward Kayla Overbeck will also have to stop senior forward Ja’Tavia Tapley, who transferred from USC in April and is now averaging seven rebounds per game.  “[We] just gotta compete,” head coach Mark Trakh said. “Since we’ve got a really young team, we’re like, we just gotta go play, we got nothing to lose.” Arizona State converted 27 points off of turnovers for a 63-54 win two days later. To prepare for ASU, USC should anticipate a Sun Devil team hungry for another conference win. Their five-game winning streak that propelled them to the No. 16 spot in the national rankings was snapped by Arizona in a 59-53 loss last week.  Washington ran out to an early 19-point lead on the Wildcats on Jan. 19 that took Arizona three quarters to erase. The Trojans took on a similar deficit and took over the lead in the third in their first Arizona game this season. Maintaining consistency for all 40 minutes could help solidify a win for USC. The Trojans will have to maintain a competitive fire if they want to finish this revenge trip with wins under their belt. “It’s pretty exciting because we’re very young, to win three big wins back-to-back — UCLA, Washington State, Washington — that’s a pretty big accomplishment,” Rogers said. “But we have to keep on working to get more wins.” The Sun Devils and Wildcats have experience on their upperclassmen-heavy rosters that powered over the young Trojan team at the beginning of conference play. Led by junior guard Aari McDonald’s 24-point performance, Arizona delivered a 65-57 win at Galen Center Jan. 3. Currently 11-8 on the season, USC did not have much success on the road in its early matchups, going 2-4 away from Galen Center. This weekend the Trojans will have the chance to reverse those struggles and further improve their No. 8 conference standing. Freshman guard Endyia Rogers will match up against top guards during USC’s road trip to Arizona. (James Wolfe | Daily Trojan) The Trojans will tip off against ASU Friday at 10 a.m. and against Arizona Sunday at 11 a.m.last_img read more

Montreal Canadiens’ Ilya Kovalchuk pumped after scoring OT winner vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

first_imgWith all seven of Canada’s teams in action on “Hockey Day in Canada,” it was one of the newest players north of the border that stole the show in an overtime thriller between the Montreal Canadiens and the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday.Knotted at one score apiece, the Canadian rivals headed to a 3-on-3 overtime period with Ilya Kovalchuk emerging as the hero in front of the home fans at the Bell Centre. TRADE RUMORS: Chris Kreider | Alexandar Georgiev | Jason Zucker |Brenden DillonIt started — as many overtime rushes do — with a save at the other end of the ice, courtesy of Carey Price. Pushing the puck off his blocker to center ice, Nick Suzuki grabbed the rubber disk and headed for the net, all alone. Newly-acquired Toronto goalie Jack Campbell, who is filling in for the injured Frederik Andersen, poked the puck away, but straight to a trailing Kovalchuk who made no doubt about it, sending it to the back of the net and commencing mayhem in Montreal.Ilya Kovalchuk marque le but gagnant @EASportsNHL 3 contre 3! Encore.Ilya Kovalchuk with the @EASportsNHL 3-on-3 winner! Again.#GoHabsGo | #HockeyIsForEveryone pic.twitter.com/JMA1ThY4Uy— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) February 9, 2020Kovalchuk’s tally put him in sole possession of third place on the all-time, regular-season overtime goal list with 17, trailing only Alex Ovechkin (23) and Jaromir Jagr (19).Ilya Kovalchuk scored his 17th career regular-season overtime goal – third most in NHL history behind Alex Ovechkin (23) and Jaromir Jagr (19). https://t.co/wN52nCfAL9 #NHLStats pic.twitter.com/Ak0js3AePo— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) February 9, 2020Pumping his fist, flailing his arms and screaming until his face was as red as his sweater, Kovalchuk was pumped. He brought that energy back to the locker room, as well.INJURY UPDATES: Shea Weber | Mark Giordano Il-YEAH Kovalchuk 🗣️#GoHabsGo | #HockeyIsForEveryone pic.twitter.com/zhiSlhlhX3— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) February 9, 2020After being released by the Los Angeles Kings earlier this season, Kovalchuk signed a one-year deal with the Habs and has felt a resurgence since moving to Quebec. In 17 games with the Kings this season, the forward had just three goals and six helpers but in 15 games with a better Habs team, he has 12 points (six goals, six assists).His name has been tossed around in trade talks, but if Kovalchuk can produce offense and the Canadiens can keep their playoff hopes alive, his $700,000 deal starts to look even more favorable to Montreal the longer their season goes and the more points No. 17 racks up. Currently, the Canadiens (61 points) sit five points behind the Maple Leafs (66) for an Atlantic Division playoff spot and six points out of the second Eastern Conference wild card, currently held by the Philadelphia Flyers (67).Welcome to the rivalry, Ilya.last_img read more