Kidnapped journalist freed after being beaten and interrogated for three days

first_img News June 2, 2021 Find out more News January 28, 2021 Find out more RSF_en April 21, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders today condemned the kidnapping and mistreatment of journalist Saeed Sarbazi, who was released on 23 September after being beaten and interrogated for three days on suspicion of supporting the Baloch separatist movement.“We join the Karachi Press Club and the Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists (PFUJ) in condemning the use of violence against Sarbazi and the growing impunity with which certain forces are acting in Pakistan,” the press freedom organisation said.Sarbazi said he was arrested as he was going to work on the morning of 20 September. His kidnappers covered his face, bundled him into a car and took him to an unknown location. For three days was kept blindfolded and prevented from sleeping or sitting while he was interrogated about his work, family and friends.His abductors accused him of supporting the so-called Baloch Liberation Army (BLA). Sarbazi replied that he had just made a few phone calls as part of his work as a journalist after the BLA’s alleged leader, Akbar Bugti, was killed by Pakistani intelligence agents on 26 August. “I told them I was a journalist but they said I was a terrorist.”His abductors finally released him after realising they had the “wrong person.” After returning home on the morning of 23 September, he was ordered to take two weeks’ rest to recover.————————————————–21.09.06Another journalist goes missing in KarachiReporters Without Borders voiced deep concern today about the disappearance of journalist Saeed Sarbazi, 65, who has not been seen since he left home yesterday morning in Karachi. Sarbazi works for the privately-owned, English-language Business Recorder, Karachi’s only business daily.“Yet another journalist has gone missing and yet again sources point to the intelligence agencies as being responsible,” the press freedom organisation said. “The interior minister’s promises must be translated into action at once. Like our Pakistani colleagues, we demand to know what has happened to Sarbazi.”Sarbazi went missing after leaving home by car for the Karachi Press Club, of which he is the deputy secretary. His family have not received any word of him since then.Sindh province interior minister Rauf Siddiqui told journalists outside the provincial assembly in Karachi that he would look into the case and would ask the police and secret services about it. Two weeks ago, Sarbazi told a friend he was being “followed by the intelligence services.” Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists secretary-general Mazhar Abbas nonetheless said nothing was certain and the circumstances of his disappearance were still unclear.The case recalls that of Mehruddin Marri of the Sindhi-language daily Kawish, who has been missing since 27 June. The intelligence services were also suspected of kidnapping him at the time of his disappearance in Sindh province.Four other journalists have been kidnapped in Pakistan since last December. Hayatullah Khan was found dead six months after he was abducted. Mukesh Rupeta and Sanjay Kumer were held illegally by the Pakistani intelligence services for more than three months. Munir Mengal has been missing since 7 April. PakistanAsia – Pacific Pakistani supreme court acquits main suspect in Daniel Pearl murder News PakistanAsia – Pacific center_img Pakistani journalist critical of the military wounded by gunfire September 27, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Kidnapped journalist freed after being beaten and interrogated for three days Organisation Receive email alerts to go further Follow the news on Pakistan News Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists Help by sharing this information last_img read more

Two years on, ban on new palm oil plantations brings little change

first_imgIt has been over two years since the government set a moratorium on new palm oil development, but environmentalists say the move has failed to bring about much-needed change in the governance of the lucrative export commodity.A coalition of civil society groups said recently that the plantation ban had not resulted in significant improvements in the sustainability of the palm oil business or its impact on the environment.In September 2018, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo issued an executive order to suspend the granting of new licenses for oil palm concessions and ordered a review of existing plantations. “These two regulations are closely related to one another. The latter could not be implemented correctly because of the lacking implementation of the former. Meanwhile, being sustainable is vital for palm oil to be able to compete in the global market,” Teguh told The Jakarta Post this week.With the expansion of plantations starting in the 1990s, palm oil has been blamed for deforestation and loss of biodiversity. The crop is Indonesia’s second-biggest export and the most efficiently produced vegetable oil.As the world’s top palm oil producer, Indonesia has regularly touted the commodity as a solution to the country’s gaping trade deficit, as well as a livelihood for millions of smallholders.Read also: Indonesia’s palm oil sector relies on domestic demand as exports dropAccording to official data, there were 16.38 million hectares of palm oil concessions in the country as of 2019.However, Teguh said the actual number might be higher and that the state had only managed to provide data from the Agriculture Ministry in the two years since the moratorium.Data compiled by Madani from various sources shows that there could be up to 31.1 million ha of palm oil concessions and that 8.4 million hectares are unaccounted for by valid permits.Forest Watch Indonesia campaign lead Agung Ady Setyawan also criticized the lack of comparative and actual data on oil palm concessions.“The state only wants to publish the total area of oil palm concessions without indicating other attributes [such as ownership and status]. This has made it difficult for us to supervise,” Agung told the Post earlier this week.Without the proper attribution and mapping of plantations, it is difficult for observers to determine the locations of plantations and identify possible overlap.The lack of transparency in oil palm plantation data, Agung said, made it hard for environmentalists to determine whether the moratorium had contributed to deforestation amid recent findings that deforestation rates had slowed.The government is finalizing its highly anticipated One Map Policy, an integrated data map that aims to eliminate overlapping data and unify disparate mapping methods from various institutions. The project is expected to be complete by December 2020.Read also: Concerns of transparency, inclusivity raised as One Map nears completionMeanwhile, deliberations between the government and the House of Representatives over the omnibus bill on job creation may complicate the goal of palm oil sustainability, given proposals in the bill that would loosen environmental protections.Indonesian Center for Environmental Law researcher Adrianus Eryan said the government should instead try to improve business practices in the palm oil industry by making sense of the available data, evaluating all existing permits and accurately measuring palm oil productivity.“The good initiative [of the moratorium] has barely run its course and the government is already trying to pass an omnibus bill that doesn’t fix the core problem [with palm oil],” Adrianus said.Palm oil productivity has not improved by much despite an ambitious target set by palm oil companies in 2011 to produce 9 tons per hectare per year by 2020. According to Statistics Indonesia (BPS), productivity was only 3.2 tons per hectare per year in 2019.Topics : If the ban and the reviews were carried out in accordance with Presidential Instruction (Inpres) No. 8/2018, the process was expected to help clear up uncertainty about the rights of smallholders and boost productivity on existing plantations.But more than two years later, the order has yet to be properly implemented, despite signs that the government wants the palm oil industry to be more sustainable, said Teguh Surya, chairman of the Madani Foundation, an environmental NGO.Based on an analysis by Madani, only one provincial and three regency administrations have issued follow-up regulations; five provinces and five regencies have shown clear commitments to implementing the ban; and another 19 provinces and 239 regencies have yet to take any action.This has contributed to slow progress in implementing the Inpres and other relevant provisions, including Presidential Regulation (Perpres) No. 44/2020 on the Indonesian Sustainable Palm Oil certification.last_img read more

France’s GTT bags German FSRU contract

first_imgThe floating storage and regasification vessel will be fitted with GTT’s N096 membrane containment system, the French company said in a statement. Daewoo expects to deliver the vessel with a capacity of 263,000 cubic meters in 2023. LTW, a unit of Uniper, is the project developer and operator behind the potential terminal at the deep-sea port. French LNG containment specialist GTT has won a contract from South Korea’s Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering for the Wilhelmshaven FSRU. The vessel will serve a planned liquefied natural gas import terminal in Wilhelmshaven, Germany on the North Sea.center_img Image courtesy of LTW GTT did not reveal financial details of the contract. To remind, Japan’s Mitsui O.S.K. Lines and Germany’s Uniper signed a build and charter deal for the FSRU last month.last_img read more

Ellsworth tennis sweeps Mount Desert Island

first_imgELLSWORTH — Tuesday was a good day for Ellsworth tennis as the boys’ and girls’ tams both earned home wins over Mount Desert Island.The Ellsworth girls started the day with a 4-1 victory to improve to 2-0 on the season. The Eagles’ Brianna Abbott and Bailey Clarke won their singles matches 8-2 and 8-3, respectively, and the teams of Faith Bradley and Grace High and Kaitlin McCullough and Emma Whitney finished with doubles wins over their counterparts at MDI (1-1).On the boys’ side, Ellsworth (1-1) got singles wins from Norman Jodrey and Keegan Gray to start the match with a 2-1 lead through three contests. Ryan White and Lucas Wheeler then defeated MDI’s Trevor Morrison and Fernando Avalos to seal the team win over the Trojans (0-2).The Eagles will be on the road against Hermon at 4:30 p.m. today, May 1. They will host George Stevens Academy at 4 p.m. tomorrow, May 2.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textlast_img read more