Another journalist abducted and murdered in Baghdad

first_img News News December 16, 2020 Find out more October 30, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Another journalist abducted and murdered in Baghdad Follow the news on Iraq News Reporters Without Borders today strongly condemned the murder of Shehab Mohammed al-Hitti, of the English-language newspaper Baghdad News. His death brings to 206 the number of journalists and media assistants killed in Iraq since the start of the conflict in March 2003.The Iraq Journalistic Freedom Observatory reported that the body of the 27-year-old journalist was found in Oor, a northern district of the capital on 27 October 2007. He had been abducted the same day in al Jami’a in the west of Baghdad while on his way to work. He had worked for Baghdad News since 2003. He worked for several dailies, including al-Zaman and Babel under the previous regime. “Shehab Mohammed al-Hitti is the 46th journalist to be murdered since the start of the year. It is not just the barbarity of armed groups that has led to his terrible toll,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said. “The failure to hold investigations, institute legal proceedings and to provide protection also plays a huge part. We send our condolences to the family of this journalist, whose death must not go unpunished.”Elsewhere, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) was still waiting for news of its Iraqi correspondent who disappeared in Baghdad on 22 October. The radio’s spokesperson told Reporters Without Borders that their correspondent was believed to have been kidnapped following the murder of his driver, but they had received no further news about this fate.To date, at least 152 journalists and 54 media assistants have been murdered since March 2003. A total of 15 kidnapped Iraqi journalists have still not been released by their captors. Reporters Without Borders today strongly condemned the murder of Shehab Mohammed al-Hitti, of the English-language newspaper Baghdad News. His death brings to 206 the number of journalists and media assistants killed in Iraq since the start of the conflict in March 2003. Help by sharing this information February 15, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Iraq : Wave of arrests of journalists covering protests in Iraqi Kurdistan December 28, 2020 Find out more IraqMiddle East – North Africa RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” IraqMiddle East – North Africa Organisation Three jailed reporters charged with “undermining national security” News RSF_en to go furtherlast_img read more

Lola’s Cupcakes boosts sales with new website

first_imgLola’s Cupcakes has seen sales rise thanks to the relaunch of its website.The London-based cupcake company has revamped and expanded its online presence, and has introduced a new range of children’s birthday cakes, as well as a wedding range.Meanwhile, the brand has now opened its 14th location in Canary Wharf.A spokesperson from Lola’s said: “We decided that our old site could do with a facelift, so we spent a long time designing, building, creating and, most importantly, tasting for our new website.“The new design is much more user-friendly and offers our customers a variety of options that were never available before. We’ve also developed brand new products, including a fantastic range of children’s birthday cakes, a new wedding range and selection of edible numbers.“Not only this, our customers can now create their own bespoke designs by handpicking their flavour of sponge and icing, as well as choosing their own decoration. So far the response to our new website has been incredible. Sales have increased since its launch and we’ve had fantastic feedback on the new designs.”last_img read more

Sipalay City drug users finish rehab program

first_imgLizares said the goal is to make all 17 barangays drug-cleared by the end of 2022. The CBRP is being implemented by the City Anti-Drug Abuse Council together with the Sipalay City Police Station, Department of the Interior and Local Government-Sipalay City, City Health Office, and the City Social Welfare and Development Office. Still, the mayor remains hopeful that the PDEA-Western Visayas will be able to conduct the validation of the two remaining villages by the end of the year. These 112 PWUDs hailed from barangays 1, 3, 4, Cabadiangan, Camindangan, Canturay, Cartagena, Mambaroto, Manlucahoc, and Nauhang. The three batches all came from 12 villages, therefore only the PWUDs from the five remaining barangays need to undergo the program. The latest 32 PWUDs, part of the third batch, are residents of Barangays 2 and Cayhagan. In a report on Monday, the city government said the latest group included 32 participants who completed the five-day program earlier this month.Mayor Maria Gina Lizares, who witnessed the graduation of the recent batch on July 17, said the rehabilitation program aims to prevent the PWUDs from returning to substance abuse. “We were supposed to hold on-site validation of the latest two barangays, but the pandemic has affected the schedules of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) and our stakeholders,” she added. The city’s partners include the PDEA-Negros Occidental, Negros Occidental Provincial Health Office and the Negros Occidental Drug Rehabilitation Foundation Inc. (With a report from PNA/PN) Thirty-two persons who used drugs (PWUDs) complete their five-day Community-Based Rehabilitation Program in Sipalay City, Negros Occidental earlier this month. According to Mayor Maria Gina Lizares, the rehabilitation program aims to prevent the PWUDs from returning to substance abuse. NEGROS DAILY BULLETIN BACOLOD City – Some 144 persons who used drugs (PWUDs) have completed the Community-Based Rehabilitation Program (CBRP) in Sipalay City, Negros Occidental since the second half of 2019. Lizares said the restrictions brought by the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic have brought negative effects to the city’s anti-drug abuse campaign. The first batch of 24 graduates completed the CBRP late last year while the remaining 88 comprised the second batch who attended and finished the sessions in the first quarter of this year.last_img read more

We have quality in Cranes – Onyango

first_imgFILE PHOTO: Uganda CranesKampala, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | Uganda Cranes skipper Denis Onyango has said the team has the quality to get to the later stages of the 2019 Total Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon).Onyango, one of the experienced players on the Ugandan team said their target is to make it out of the group stage into the knock out round.Uganda will battle against hosts Egypt, Zimbabwe and the Democratic Republic of Congo in Group A of the tournament which kicks off on Friday in Cairo. The tournament which brings together 24 teams for the first time will run June 21st to July 19th.Onyango said although the team does not have star players like Mohammad Salah for Egypt, they will play as a unit to be able to get the get the results.“We shall need to work as a complete team. To get as far as we can, we need to get the best use of the team quality. We have camped for a long time in Abu Dhabi and virtually all the players know each other well. Against DR Congo, we need that first victory because it always pushes us further,” he added.In the international friendly games played in the United Arab Emirates the Crans drew goalless with lowly ranked Asian side Turkmenistan before stopping 2015 Afcon champions Ivory Coast 1-0.Head coach Sebastien Desabre also made it clear that his team is ready to compete at the 2019 AFCON finals. “We have good organisation, cohesion and quality in the team basing on values of working together,” he added.Group A: Uganda, Egypt, Zimbabwe, DR Congo Group B: Nigeria, Guinea, Madagascar, BurundiGroup C: Senegal, Algeria, Kenya, TanzaniaGroup D: Ivory Coast, South Africa, Namibia, MoroccoGroup E: Tunisia, Mali, Mauritania, AngolaGroup F: Cameroon, Ghana, Benin, Guinea Bissau*****URNShare on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Tiffany’s Show, Pattaya Mail support Ladyboy water-volleyball tournament

first_imgWe can’t overlook the contributions to the upcoming 2013 Pattaya Ladyboy Water-Volleyball Competition made by the competing ladyboys and the bars where they are employed.  Without them and their time, given freely, there wouldn’t be a tournament and consequently our worthy charities wouldn’t benefit.  Then there are the financial contributors, both personal and corporate, who provide the funds that go directly to our charities.  But it’s not just financial contributors to which we are indebted.  This year we’re happy to have the Pattaya Mail Media Group once more giving us an outlet from which to promote the charity tournament and highlight the tremendous contribution the ladyboys are making to their communities.  And of course there are our gracious tournament hosts at the Areca Lodge on Soi Diana.But we’d be fibbing if we didn’t say we were especially thrilled to have the participation of Tiffany’s Show this year!  The world famous Tiffany’s Show Pattaya is the original transgender cabaret show here and is currently in its 38th year. Its showgirls are paragons of both beauty and talent, and the show itself is a huge tourist draw for Pattaya.  Through the efforts of Pattaya Mail, Tiffany’s Show Pattaya has generously agreed to donate five tickets to the Miss International Queen competition, which will be part of the charity raffle held on the evening following the tournament.The Miss International Queen competition is a once-a-year event presented by Tiffany’s Show that draws transgender women from all over the world to compete for the title.  This year the event will be held on Nov. 1, only a week after the Pattaya Ladyboy Water-Volleyball Competition.  The tickets always sell out well in advance, so we expect these will be popular items for the charity raffle — in fact we expect some of the tournament spectators will be outbid by the volleyball contestants!All of these efforts are critical to the success of this year’s charity event, and Pattaya Mail, Tiffany Show and Areca Lodge all have our utmost heartfelt thanks.But of course raising money for charities is what the tournament is all about.  With that in mind, I’m happy to say that we are now on track to to raise 700,000 baht for said charities: Pattaya Rotary Club’s Water4Life program, Pattaya’s HEARTT 2000, Bangkok’s St. Camillus Foundation of Thailand’s Camillian Home program, and Phuket’s The Life Home Project.  Thanks to many generous financial contributors and sponsors, we have more than doubled last year’s charitable contribution of 285,854 baht.To date 86 individuals have pledged 110 sponsorships of one or more of the bars competing in the tournament.  That amounts to 350,000 baht — once again, that alone puts us over last year’s mark.  To all of them, on behalf of the charities involved and the ladyboys in the tournament, I’d like to extend a heartfelt thank you.But this year we also have a corporate sponsor on board in NB Surveys Thailand Co. Ltd., the Thai branch of NB Surveys Global.  To say that we are thrilled to have such an august company sponsoring the tournament would be an understatement.With headquarters in Aberdeen, Scotland, NB Global provides surveying services to the oil and gas industry, onshore and offshore, and has offices in Australia, Brunei, India, Malaysia and United Arab Emirates, in addition to its office in Bangkok.Established in 2001, NB Surveys Thailand began with just one expat employee, but has steadily grown over the ensuing decade to now include several local Thai staff in both the survey department and the office operations.  To NB Surveys we must also extend our heartfelt thanks as well.The 2013 Pattaya Ladyboy Water-Volleyball Competition is slated for Saturday, October 26.  For more information or to see how you can help, email us at [email protected], or visit us on the web at www.lbwvb.com.last_img read more