Brand South Africa Hosts the South Africa – Hong Kong Business Breakfast

first_imgJohannesburg, Thursday 14 February 2019 – Today, Brand South Africa and the South African Consulate in Hong Kong, hosted a business breakfast,  to enhance the country’s Nation Brand reputation through positioning South Africa as an attractive investment destination.Coinciding with the anniversary of President Cyril Ramaphosa’s “new dawn,” and renewal of business and investor confidence in South Africa, the  business breakfast presented an opportunity to follow up on the resounding success of the inaugural SA Investment Conference that was held in October last year.The theme was  ‘growing bilateral trade and investment relations between South Africa and Hong Kong’, aimed to contribute towards delivering impactful investment country messaging to the high-level business audience.Brand South Africa’s Marketing Manager, Mr Tshepiso Malele said: “Brand South Africa has been in discussions with stakeholders, to pursue an opportunity for a strategic intervention through direct engagement with Hong Kong business. With the enthusiastic support of the China General Chamber of Commerce (CGCC) in Hong Kong, the collaborative engagement enabled Brand South Africa to interact with a sizable number of Hong Kong’s prominent business people who are members of the chamber.” Speaking at the event, CGCC Chairman, Dr. Jonathan Choi, emphasised the important role  South Africa plays in facilitating Sino-African relations.With its ideal location in fast-growing Asia and riding on the opportunities brought by the Mainland economy, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region has developed into an international business, trade and financial hub, as well as a renowned tourist city, providing high value-added and knowledge-intensive services to the globalised world. Hong Kong also serves as the gateway to the Mainland for overseas investors as well as a platform for Mainland enterprises to go global. Though it has a modest population size of just over 7.4 million, Hong Kong boasts a Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of US$ 341 billion and is an important financial Centre in the region.The platform was an opportunity for South Africa to enhance its stakeholder network in China, provide feedback on the  SA Investment Conference and to profile South Africa as an attractive investment  and trade partner of choice. Founder and CEO of Hong Kong based Acorus Capital, Ms. Maxine Barnett, who was a delegate at the South African Investment Conference, remarked, “There is a strong breeze in South Africa. There is a new wind in the sails.” Referring to the significant investment commitments that have been made thus far in response to President Ramaphosa’s drive, she added, “The private sector in South Africa is backing the country… there has never been a better time to consider South Africa.”The confidence in South Africa’s investment potential was echoed by Mr. Mike Blades, CEO of Standard Advisory Asia (which is part of the Standard Bank Group), who highlighted some of the country’s most compelling economic attributes. He commended South Africa’s competitive strengths such as the independent judiciary – an important contributor towards investor protection – as well as the government’s firm stance in rooting out corruption. “Hong Kong will be pivotal in leading investment into South Africa,” he said.South Africa’s Consul-General to Hong Kong, Mr Madoda Ntshinga said: “The growing people to people connections that is taking place between China and Africa, continues to help, build the bridge of human understanding, within the framework of solidarity. We have in the recent past seen an increase in collaboration, cultural exchanges, science and technology cooperation and innovation, as central pillars of development, within the China Africa relationship. Consequently, there is growing consensus, that development of these areas is needed in promoting greater industrialisation, beneficiation and economic development, on a large scale.”“The South African Consulate in Hong continues to work to increase the export of South African agricultural products by improving market access for South African agricultural products in Hong Kong. South African exports including products from the Agro-processing sector such as seafood, meat, wine, fresh fruit and vegetables have strong possibilities for growth.“Hong Kong is a major international financial centre and continues to leverage the combined advantages of ‘one country’’ and ‘two systems’. Bilateral trade between Hong Kong and South Africa continue to grow. We are certain that in the coming months we will continue to see more and more Hong Kong companies investing and doing business in South Africa,” concluded Mr Ntshinga.For more information or to set up interviews, please contact: Tsabeng NthiteTel: +27 11 712 5061Mobile: +27 (0) 76 371 6810Email:[email protected] www.brandsouthafrica.comlast_img read more

Fabinho ‘calm’ as he waits for Liverpool moment to arrive

first_imgLiverpool midfielder Fabinho is remaining calm despite a lack of playing time since a big-money transfer from Monaco this summer. The Brazil international moved from France to England in May in a deal worth €45 million (£39m/$52m) plus bonuses of up to another €5m (£4m/$6m).Despite Liverpool’s big investment in the 24-year-old, he has been brought along slowly, making just one start and a total of three appearances in all competitions this season.  Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! Though Fabinho has admitted he’d like to be playing more, he insists he is not concerned over his future with the club as he remains patient. “Of course I want to be playing,” Fabinho told Goal. “However, I know I am on a new team in a new league, and it has its period of adaptation.”I already know the way our coach likes to play, I’m happy here in Liverpool. I hope that I will gradually gain a few minutes on the field.”The adaptation on the pitch is good, and I’m working and calm, waiting for my moment to arrive.”Fabinho says his mentality has been helped by Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp and his coaching staff, who have kept him calm while gradually easing him into the Reds set-up.”From the start he gave me a lot of peace,” Fabinho said of the German boss. “He said he knows my quality, the preparation was good.”We did not have much time in the games, but we’re working hard during the week. It’s not a problem.”Not only coach Klopp, but the whole coaching staff has helped me in the adaptation, not only on the field, but also off the field.”Fabinho Jurgen Klopp Liverpool 2018-19Prior to joining the Reds, Fabinho quizzed Roberto Firmino on life in Liverpool, and the attacker helped convince his compatriot to make the move.”Before signing with Liverpool, I talked to Roberto Firmino about what the club is like and what the city is like,” Fabinho said. “He spoke well of the club and the city, and other people who have already visited the city. The information only gave me more motivation to come to Liverpool.”The Brazilian says his adaptation to life in England has also been helped by his two international team-mates on the club’s roster, Alisson and Firmino. “It’s good to have someone who speaks your language in everyday life, especially for me, who does not speak English so well,” Fabinho said.”It is good to have someone who can help with day-to-day life, for me and for my family. This is very important. We are always together, talking or making dinner in someone’s home.”Fabinho is currently away on international duty with Brazil ahead of Tuesday’s meeting with South American rivals Argentina, and will be hoping to impress ahead of Liverpool’s next Premier League outing against Huddersfield Town on October 20. Subscribe to Goal’s Liverpool Correspondent Neil Jones’ weekly email bringing you the best Liverpool FC writing from around the weblast_img read more

BCCI joint secretary Amitabh Chaudhary ‘shocked’ after India Today expose on Pune pitch curator

first_imgThe Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) joint secretary Amitabh Chaudhary said he is shocked with what has transpired this morning after India Today conducted a sting operation on the Pune pitch curator and caught him revealing details about the wicket on camera.India Today reporters caught the MCA pitch curator Pandurang Salgaonkar on camera allowing people to tamper with the pitch and even agreed to doctor the pitch according to their needs just hours before the first ball is bowled in the second ODI between India and New Zealand.”The BCCI has zero tolerance on such issues. I am not yet aware of the full thing. I will attend to it immediately and take strictest action. The guilty will not be spared,” Chaudhary told India Today.MCA president Abhay Apte also spoke to India Today right after the sting operation and promised strick action.”We will look into the matter. Rest assured, if anyone found guilty, strict action will be taken,” Apte said while on his way to the stadium.The reporters, who posed as bookies/fixers, asked Salgaonkar that two players want bounce on the pitch and if it can be arranged to which Salgaonkar replied, “it will be done”.Salgaonkar also said that it is going to be a 337-340 wicket either way. He also assured on camera that a score as big as 337 will be chaseable.Salgaonkar even allowed our reporters to inspect the pitch in person, clearly violating the laws as set by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and the International Cricket Council (ICC).advertisementRemember the pitch in question here is the same one which was rated poor by the ICC after the India-Australia Test match which was played in February this year.Australia had thrashed India by 333 runs on a rank-turner after the hosts were bowled out for 105 and 107 in both innings and the match finished within three days.India are trailing 0-1 in the three-match series after losing the first match by 6 wickets at the Wankhede stadium in Mumbai.last_img read more

Gov’t Receives Major Boost to Assist in Recovery Efforts

first_imgPrime Minister Andrew Holness today (May 23) received 3000 bags of cement from Caribbean Cement Company Limited, to assist in recovery efforts following the heavy rains last week.Prime Minister Holness thanked Carib Cement for the kind contribution to help those affected.“I am heartened by the response of Carib Cement to assist Jamaicans who have been adversely affected by the rains. Jamaica is privileged to have a private sector that continues to make significant contributions to the development of the country. The Government is committed to strengthening the partnership, with the private sector, in building Jamaica,” says the prime minister.In expressing his thanks to the company the prime minister encouraged other members of the private sector to assist in the recovery efforts.“On behalf of the people of Jamaica, I want to thank the management of Carib Cement, for their benevolence. This contribution will allow the government to assist more individuals. I am encouraging other members of the private sector to assist in the recovery efforts”, continued Prime Minister Holness.The Government, through the various agencies, has already started recovery works across the affected parishes as well as the distribution of relief supplies.Officials from the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management, ODPEM were also on hand to receive the donation.last_img read more