Heritage Lottery Fund grants reach £1 million this year

first_img Howard Lake | 3 August 2003 | News  14 total views,  1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis More than £1 million in Heritage Lottery Fund grant support has been provided to local communities across England by the Local Heritage Initiative in the first half of this year.The grants, ranging from £3,000 to £25,000, are given to community groups wishing to increase understanding, record and care for aspects of heritage.The Local Heritage Initiative is run by the Countryside Agency and distributes funds on behalf of the Heritage Lottery Fund. Building Society Nationwide provides additional sponsorship support. Advertisement AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis Heritage Lottery Fund grants reach £1 million this year About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving. Nicola Webley, head of the Local Heritage Initiative, said: “In the three years since we were formed we have given over £8 million to 651 community groups across the country. Last year the scheme was changed to allow groups to apply for 100% funding up to £25,000… The groups are now also able to benefit from cash advances, rather than claim back funds after payment.”The Local Heritage Initiative says that it is keen to encourage other community groups to come forward and apply for grant support to develop a heritage-based project in their area.last_img read more

European Court issues first rulings on journalists detained in Turkey

first_img Human rights groups warns European leaders before Turkey summit April 28, 2021 Find out more Turkey’s never-ending judicial persecution of former newspaper editor RSF_en Follow the news on Turkey News to go further March 20, 2018 European Court issues first rulings on journalists detained in Turkey Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls for the immediate release of all journalists wrongfully imprisoned in Turkey after the European Court of Human Rights ruled against Turkey in its first two decisions on the detention of journalists after the July 2016 coup attempt.RSF has long been pressing the European Court to take a position on the imprisonment of Turkish journalists, who are denied any effective recourse in Turkey, and the court finally began to do this today, issuing decisions on the provisional detention of Mehmet Altan and Şahin Alpay for more than a year and a half.Finding that the detention of these two famous journalists was neither “necessary” nor “proportionate” and that it violated their “right to liberty and security of person” and their “right to freedom of expression,” the court ordered Turkey to pay both of them 21,500 euros in damages.“We have waited a long time for these rulings, which force the Turkish authorities to confront their obligations,” said Erol Önderoğlu, RSF’s Turkey representative. “The authorities must now draw the appropriate conclusions, ending Şahin Alpay’s house arrest and freeing Mehmet Altan and all other unjustly detained journalists.” Önderoğlu added: “The Turkish government must stop criminalizing journalism and trampling on the rule of law, or else it will suffer the political and financial consequences.”Alpay was arrested in July 2016, and Altan the following September. Turkey’s highest court, the constitutional court, ruled in January of this year that their provisional detention was illegal and ordered their immediate release, but the lower courts refused to carry out this order. This refusal by the lower courts “runs counter to the fundamental principles of the rule of law and legal certainty,” the European Court said.Altan was finally sentenced to life imprisonment last month on a charge of trying to overthrow state institutions. As a result of a second decision by the constitutional court (just days before today’s European Court rulings), Alpay was let out of prison on 16 March but remains under house arrest on charges of “trying to overthrow the government” and links with “terrorist organizations.”Today’s European Court rulings only address the issue of the provisional detention of these two journalists. RSF regrets that the European Court waited until after Altan’s conviction to issue a ruling on his case, because its effect could have been much greater.RSF nonetheless thinks that today’s two rulings confirm that the violations that have taken place are serious enough to justify a complete reexamination of all the cases of journalists imprisoned in Turkey, especially as the European Court said Alpay and Altan were arrested because of their “criticism” of the government and their “publication of information regarded (…) as endangering national interests.”Turkey is ranked 155th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index. The already worrying media situation has become critical under the state of emergency proclaimed after the July 2016 coup attempt. Around 150 media outlets have been closed, mass trials are being held and the country now holds the world record for the number of professional journalists detained. April 2, 2021 Find out more News Journalists threatened with imprisonment under Turkey’s terrorism law Organisation Credit: Frederick Florin / AFP TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Protecting journalistsInternational bodies Judicial harassmentImprisonedFreedom of expressionCouncil of Europe TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Protecting journalistsInternational bodies Judicial harassmentImprisonedFreedom of expressionCouncil of Europe April 2, 2021 Find out more News News Receive email alertslast_img read more

Observer elects next Editor-in-Chief for upcoming term

first_imgThe Observer General Board elected current News Editor Courtney Becker as Editor-in-Chief for the 2018-2019 term Saturday.Becker, a junior living in Pasquerilla West Hall, is currently pursuing a major in Film, Television and Theatre (FTT) with a minor in journalism, ethics and democracy (JED).“Courtney has been one of the most talented reporters at The Observer over the last three years, and she has shown herself to be an excellent leader as News Editor this year,” outgoing Editor-in-Chief Ben Padanilam said. “Her commitment to and passion for The Observer is unparalleled, and I am excited to see what she will accomplish next year.”A New York City native, Becker has led the News department since March 2017. Throughout her time in the News department, Becker has written extensively about the University’s various expansion projects and how national politics affect the political climate on campus.“I am so excited and honored to lead The Observer for the next year,” Becker said. “The Observer has taken plenty of great strides forward since I joined it during my freshman year, and I have learned so much from the people with whom I’ve worked. I hope to continue that progress from this year’s Editorial Board moving forward, and I am looking forward to covering the issues that affect campus in new ways.”Becker will begin her term as Editor-in-Chief on March 4.Tags: Editor-in-Chieflast_img read more

Go Red for Women Luncheon Wednesday in Burlington

first_imgThe Sheraton Burlington Hotel and Conference Center will be a sea of red on Wednesday, Feb. 16, as nearly 500 women ‘ and some men ‘ will gather for the fifth annual Go Red for Women Luncheon.‘This is going to be a powerful and life-affirming day,’ said Melinda Moulton, CEO of Main Street Landing and volunteer co-chair of the luncheon.‘We are honored that so many people have worked to put this together, and that so many women are telling us they can’t wait to attend,’ said Mary Powell, CEO of Green Mountain Power and volunteer co-chair of the event. ‘We asked this question at last year’s luncheon, and are still seeking the answer,’ Moulton said. There are two Heart-to-Heart Workshops scheduled from 11 to 11:30 a.m. One is limited to 25 people, with Michelle Hooper from the AHA teaching CPR. Peter Spector, M.D., electrophysiologist with the University of Vermont Medical Group at Fletcher Allen, will present the other workshop, titled ‘Marching without the Beat of a Drummer: The Heart’s Electricity and Atrial Fibrillation.’ At 9:45 a.m., Moulton will moderate a panel discussion entitled ‘Is Work/Life Balance Possible?’ Registration for the Go Red for Women Luncheon begins at 8 a.m. At 9 a.m., Shyla Nelson of The Good Earth Singers will lead the attendees in a session of chanting. The Go Red for Women Luncheon is set for Wednesday, Feb. 16, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center in Burlington. Tickets are $50 each. For information or to purchase tickets, call 802.288.8307, email [email protected](link sends e-mail) or visit heart.org/vermontgoredluncheon. Lauren Maloney of FOX44 and Tara Madison of Star 92.9 are the emcees of the luncheon. Macy’s and Merck are the national sponsors of Go Red for Women. Presenting sponsor of the Go Red for Women Luncheon is Fletcher Allen Health Care. A Picture and A Promise sponsor is NorthCountry Federal Credit Union. Main Street Landing is a local sponsor. Media sponsors are FOX44, Star 92.9 and the Burlington Free Press.About Go Red For WomenGo Red For Women is part of the American Heart Association’s solution to help save women’s lives. With one out of three women still dying from heart disease, we are committed to fighting this No. 1 killer, which is largely preventable. GoRedForWomen.org, a premiere source of information and education, connects millions of women of all ages and gives them tangible resources to turn personal choices into lifesaving actions. We encourage women and the men who love them to embrace the cause. For more information, please visit GoRedForWomen.org or call 1-888-MY-HEART (1-888-694-3278). The movement is nationally sponsored by Macy’s and Merck & Co., Inc.# At noon, the luncheon program begins, hosted by Lauren Maloney of FOX44 and Tara Madison of Star 92.9. Melinda Estes, M.D., president and CEO of Fletcher Allen Health Care, is the keynote speaker. Shelburne resident Michelle Johnston, who suffered sudden cardiac death on Oct. 27, 2009, at the age of 38, will share her story. Jenni Johnson and the Junketeers will wrap up the day with music guaranteed to get everyone up and dancing.last_img read more

APC approves rezoning on property with future landfill potential

first_imgGreensburg, IN —The Decatur County Area Plan Commission voted 7-1 in favor of re-zoning close to 94 acres from A-1 zoning to an I-2 zoning for Property owned by BEX Farms, a subsidiary of Best Way Disposal. Paul Stone, President of the Area Plan Commission, made it clear to the audience the petition on which the Commission was to vote, was to be on the rezoning of property and not on a landfill.  Stone stated that if it should pass, the discussion on a landfill would be at the Board of Zoning Appeals meeting. During the last meeting in March petitioners were asked three questions to bring back to the Commission: what is the smallest amount of land that is necessary for rezoning, what is the life expectancy of the landfill currently and if additional space is approved, and can something be done to help with the odor issues.  Kurt Pueblo, speaking on behalf of BEX Farms stated that they were reducing their petition from 150 acres to 93.98 acres to be rezoned and that approximately 48 of those acres would be used for a future landfill.  Pueblo stated that the current life expectancy of the landfill is between 10-12 years and adding the additional land would increase this by 20-30 additional years.  As both audience members and AP Commissioner Sheila Kirchhoff addressed continuing odor issues, Pueblo stated that work has been done to contain the smell including increasing soil cover and maintenance to newly installed gas pipes.  After hearing from several members of the community that were all opposed to the potential landfill, the commission voted in favor. The vote now moves to the County Board of Zoning Appeals for a vote on the petition for a conditional use as a landfill.last_img read more

Inkoom expecting tough game in Sudan

first_imgSamuel Inkoom is expecting much more of a challenge from Sudan than Ghana faced in the reverse fixture in Kumasi back March of this year.Ghana, chasing a third consecutive appearance at the World Cup finals claimed a 4-0 home win against Sudan in the Group D qualifying of the 2014 FIFA World Cup.With three more matches to complete the second round stage of matches, Inkoom, who is making a return to the Black Stars after a long absence expects a tough test in Omdurman on Friday when Ghana plays Sudan.“Every player wants to show something and prove to the coach that he is good. The most important thing is that we need to stay focused, listen to the coach and keep on working hard,” Inkoom said at Ghana’s training camp in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.“I believe this team. I have trust in my colleagues. It’s not going to be easy. We have been there twice. But I believe that we are going to beat them.”The Black Stars are just one point adrift leaders, Zambia on the log with the side that finishes top, advancing to the third round stage. For Inkoom and his colleagues despite a long and busy club campaign in their various leagues abroad, sacrificing to put smiles on the faces of Ghanaians means so much to them.“Everybody knows we have a big game ahead of us which is against Sudan and Lesotho. We need to sacrifice for our nation as well. Our leagues are over and we need to come and see the family and it’s not easy at all.“It’s our nation, we need to put everything aside. If the nation is happy, we are also happy. We need to sacrifice for our nation because football is different in every country. It brings a lot of people together so we need to sacrifice,” the defender said.After the game with Sudan, the Black Stars travel to Johannesburg on 9th June and will train in the South African capital for four days before departing to Maseru for the match against Lesotho.last_img read more