LOS ANGELES — The city’s Cultural Heritage Commission unanimously approved redesign plans for the Coliseum on Wednesday, clearing one of the few remaining legislative hurdles for stadium officials bidding to bring the NFL back to Los Angeles. The plans, presented by architects Ron Turner and Bruce Judd, call for the 82-year-old stadium to be turned into a three-decked, 68,000-seat modern facility while preserving much of the exterior walls and the distinctive peristyle end. “I think it’s great — go for it,” commission president Mary Klaus-Martin told Turner, Judd and Coliseum general manager Pat Lynch after the 6-0 vote. “The facade, the bowl, the peristyle — it’s all there. With downtown sprawling the way it is, this is the next hot spot.” The commission’s approval clears the way for Coliseum officials to receive a construction permit from the city, which would be the governing agency for the renovation, and allows the architects to bring in engineers. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week The NFL still has some design concerns — such as signage modifications — but Judd assured the panel that he couldn’t think of anything that would give them pause. The hearing was of enough interest to the NFL that its environmental law and stadium construction consultants were dispatched. “It’s a positive development, but we still have a fair amount of work to do in negotiating a (lease) agreement,” NFL executive Neil Glat said by phone from New York. While NFL owners are not expected to make a decision on a stadium site — the Coliseum and Anaheim are the two current options — until perhaps next March, Glat is scheduled to present them with an update on Los Angeles next week at an owners’ meeting in Kansas City. While the NFL and the Coliseum are still negotiating a lease agreement, as is Anaheim, it’s been a productive last month for the Coliseum. In addition to Wednesday, officials have won state and then city approval for a redevelopment bill that would set aside at least $20 million in tax increments for housing and infrastructure improvements around Exposition Park, and also had no opposition to a Plan Amendment, which allowed for the additional height of the new structure. “This shows the NFL that, whatever their timetable is, we’re not a liability,” said city councilman Bernard Parks, who plans to attend the meeting in Kansas City. “If the NFL wanted to put a shovel in the ground, we’re ready to pull permits and get rolling.” – ALAMEDA — — Randy Moss is unlikely to play Sunday against the Buffalo Bills after being listed as doubtful in Wednesday’s injury report. Moss attended the Oakland Raiders’ walk-through Wednesday morning but the receiver was still nursing bruised ribs, a strained groin and a bruised pelvic area after getting hurt in a hard fall while trying to make a leaping catch late in the first quarter of last Sunday’s 27-14 loss to the San Diego Chargers. “If he’s not in, the thing rolls on. But hopefully we’ll have him,” quarterback Kerry Collins said. “With Randy, we have our plays every week where we try to get him the ball. I don’t know if it will change too much. I think whoever steps in for him will do a good job.” No Moss would come as happy news to the Bills, who have given up their share of big plays to him in two career meetings when he was with Minnesota. Moss went over 100 yards receiving and had a touchdown catch in each, finishing with 221 yards total and two TDs in two games. – TAMPA, Fla. — — Tampa Bay quarterback Brian Griese will miss the rest of the season after tearing ligaments in his left knee. Griese was injured during the second quarter of Sunday’s 27-13 victory over Miami, and just before Tuesday’s NFL trade deadline the Bucs acquired Tim Rattay as a backup for Chris Simms and Luke McCown. – CHARLOTTE, N.C. — — Aden Durde, a practice squad player with the Carolina Panthers, left the team Wednesday after the NFL cited him for violating the league’s steroid policy. Durde, a linebacker, was assigned to the Panthers through the NFL International Development Practice Squad program. He said in a statement that the league told him he tested positive for nandrolone on August 1 during a routine preseason drug test. – TEMPE, Ariz. — — Cardinals coach Dennis Green has decided who will start at quarterback against Tennessee, but won’t make his choice public until shortly before Sunday’s kickoff. Green said he told the team who the quarterback will be, but those sampled Wednesday weren’t about to break the code of secrecy. – INDIANAPOLIS — — Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison still intend to split the ball from their record-breaking touchdown pass Monday night, but it may not entirely be their decision. The duo decided after the 6-yard TD pass that gave Manning and Harrison their 86th touchdown together — one more than San Francisco’s Steve Young and Jerry Rice — they would each keep half the ball. By Wednesday, no cuts had been made and Manning intimated the Hall of Fame might want it. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!